Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have a microscope station set up at the MMMC February 10, 2008 Lansing swap for anyone that wants to screen their corals. We will try to have some MMMC members available to assist with the screenings.

The screening table will be set up to help reefers look at their corals for red bugs, acro eating flat worms (AEFW), zoa eating nudi's, and just to look at other tank critters for fun.

You may have to open your bag in order to properly view the coral which means you will have to rebag it....so you may need to bring some extra bags.

NOTE: this table provides a screening service and does not guarantee that the coral is free of all parasites/flat worms or their eggs. Dipping and QT at home should be completed to be absolutely sure that the coral is free of these nuisance critters.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Good deal, thanks again BOB. Another great Idea!

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the pests you can see with the naked eye like red bugs, nudi's, etc., I suggest a stereo microscope. These are also known as a dissecting microscope. The sky is the limit for cost depending on the magnifying power (often 4.5X to 90X), if you want it to zoom, remain fixed, or manually shift the lens, and a whole host of other options. Prices start out new around $250 for a very basic model.

My scope is a stereo microscope, 3.5X - 90X zoom.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, didn't find any, which is good! However, there were only a few reefers that wanted their frags to be screened.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
meisen said:
I dunno, I saw a giant bristleworm when I looked into the scope....wow those things are cool to watch!
That was no pest, that was my pet!!:eek:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think the only reason those things arent considered the most amazing animal in the world is that they arent 25' long and terrestrial. I gotta dig out my dissecting scope and set it up in my workshop one of these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts