Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 90 gallon cichlid tank and want to get an led light fixture. Is anyone using a freshwater led currently? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the marine current USA orbit LEDS. I know they have a fresh water version. I love my lights. No heat issues, fans. Many cool options and reasonably priced. Just saying. I had cichlids many years before going salt. They are awesome. Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
If your interested in building things you can create some LED lighting with weatherproof LED's from eBay. I created a lighting system for my 55 gallon and so far I love it. I did have a 12V adapter already and some wood to make a hood, so the overall cost for me was pretty cheap.

I am setting up a 90 gallon cichlid tank and want to get an led light fixture. Is anyone using a freshwater led currently? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I loved and honestly miss my cichlids immensely (it's actually kinda funny how there are so many options for salt tanks in smaller sizes but only having a biocube there are almost no options for FW). What kind of cichlids are you doing? Africans? SAs?

I ask because if you are doing Africans then any ol' LED fixture will work and I'd go with something cheaper like a Marineland one that you can pick up in any pet store. However, if you are going with South Americans, depending on what type, you may want to add a fairly significant amount of plant life, in which case I'd go with something online where you can specifically order ones that come in the 6500K range for plant growth. You can even go to a garden site to buy those, which would be much cheaper than buying on a specifically-for-aquariums site.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a Marineland double bright on my 46 gal bowfront FW tank, I like it alot but it could be better. I dont think these could hack it on a deep tank like a 90, but it looks great on mine. The blue moonlights are pretty useless though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check out the Kessil A150W Amazon Sun. Great plant growth and spectacular glitter lines....a very natural look!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am stocking the tank with all male Peacock and Hap cichlids, I have 12 in the tank so far. I think I am going to get the Current LED freshwater plus. It is fully programmable and comes with a remote control with lots of setting like overcast sky and thunderstorms. Plus you can get them for around $120

1 - 7 of 7 Posts