Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has kept a frog fish in thier reef successfully? i know that thay will eat shrips and crabs but i was just wondering if anyone has done it, thay are realy sweet fish and i want to keep one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am also interested, from what I hear its like keeping a lionfish mixed with a hawkfish. they perch and wait then BAM eat everything they can fit in there mouths I was considering a 40 gallon species tank ... gotta do more research

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have a friend that did for a few years. You want larger tankmates that it can't eat and that will not nip at it. He did get rid of it because it's it was irritating a coral - don't remember what type coral the frog was a wartskin- and was killing the coral by perching on it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You can keep them with softies and such but I wouldn't with LPS casue they might get stung and if the perch on them it will kill them. A 40g with a single fish would be sweet, like the other poster said if you keep other fish with them they have to be at least 3x the size of the frogfish. Frogfish have huge stomachs and can eat stuff that is 2x thier size.

·
Registered
718 Posts
frog fish

I have a mixed reef tank. I kept a sargassum angler which is like a frogfish. They are pigs when it comes to eating. They can eat things their size and bigger. I had him originally in a 40gal tall fish only tank and was fine for a while. When he grew i put him in my 90 reef with a full grown volitan lionfish and a few others. They mainly stay at the top of the tank due to not being real fast swimmers. Mine stayed anywere there was not a lot of current. I got rid of mine due to the fact the lion and him would fight over food. Real cool fish but u do need larger tankmates with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts