Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a FX5 for a year and a half with no problems, What am I missing it I were running a sump? My tank is NOT drilled no overflow, nor do I have a protien skimmer. I am using a AquaClear 500 hang on the back filter to break the water surface, What would I benefit from running a skimmer and sump? I currently have no reactors of any type either.

Most of my levels are right on except my nitrates could be lower..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a side note, I chose the Fx5 because it appeared to have the same filtering effect as a sump. But I figured it was a closed system, so I wouldn't have to add water as much. I plan on turning my HOTB filter into a hang on refugium

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The main thing you are missing is water volume. Other then that a sump is a good place to put your equipment so its not hanging off your tank or in it. Equipment like heaters, skimmer, reactors, you can incorporate a fuge in your sump also. But you still need to clean any detrious out of the sump just like a canister filter or you can still have the same issues.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Honestly, if it isn't broke dont fix it. Obviously whatever you have been doing is right on! Considering you are not running any of the equipment most of us are running. However, if you were really wanting to get into corals like some LPS and definitely SPS. I would considering changing a few things. With that being said, It may not hurt to go pick up a couple $5 frags of SPS if you have enough lighting and give it a go to see how your system fairs. But, the lower your nitrate and phosphates are the better in this case.

If you are thinking about incorporating a sump, I would also consider a good quality skimmer. What are you running in the FX5 canister filter?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now, I'm just running Seachem Matrix in the FX5 and the foam that came with it, and I'm using carbon in the hang on filter. I do have quite a bit in my tank right now, my lighting is a 6 bulb t5 aquaticlife fixture.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The main thing you are missing is water volume. Other then that a sump is a good place to put your equipment so its not hanging off your tank or in it. Equipment like heaters, skimmer, reactors, you can incorporate a fuge in your sump also. But you still need to clean any detrious out of the sump just like a canister filter or you can still have the same issues.
+1
I think it wil come down to personal preference. But, adding a sump and placing your equipment down there and maybe some macro will still keep things running as natrual as you have them now. Plus will give you additional water volum and room for a skimmer if you choose to go that route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts