Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MichiganReefers!

This is just a quick post to show off my new tank I picked up from Great Lakes Aquarium today. Its a 194 Show 72x24x26 with center overflow and pre-drilled 1 1/2" drain and 1" return. They also included the stand pipe, return plumbing and through-holes. They were very nice, took a lot of time helping us decide what we wanted and gave us a reasonable price within our budget. I'm looking to start out FOWLR and perhaps move up to a reef system at a later date. No rush on anything, just enjoying the build and fun of this hobby. Its been several years since running 4 smaller saltwater systems , and I'm anxious to see what new things are out there.
Furniture Chair Picture frame Wood Building
Rectangle Gas Glass Wood Shelf
Furniture Wood Table Display case Rectangle

·
Registered
725 Posts
Looks great and Welcome back lol this is a hard hobby to leave.

There's a whole new world of stuff out there, there's a lot of other great build threads on here take some time and read threw some of those and you will have a bunch of great ideas of what they have done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the plan....

·
Registered
239 Posts
From the looks of your drawing , it looks like two return pumps running into a "t". I guess I would rather run one larger pump without the extra 90's and the "t" resulting in possibly the same GPH @ less watts than two pumps. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks RJS8540 for your comments. :) I am looking at the 2 pumps as more for redundancy and intend to use Wyse instead of tees. I don't intend to have both pumps running at the same time. Unfortunately, my drawing skills and the program I used are both limited. :2911: I hope in the future to create a closed loop for some future additions, in which case I'll be utilizing both pumps. I also forgot to add the heaters and ATO into my sumps, so I'll be updating the plan again soon. I'm second guessing the wave maker now, but like the idea of the whole tank's water moving back and forth, rather than just a steady stream circulating around the tank. So we'll see! :thank_you2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still moving forward....moved the access door to the "Fish Room" so I have less plumbing and more usable space.

And equipment has started to arrive!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Couple Q's. Is the sump actually going to be 2 separate 40 gallon containers/ tanks? If so, What is your reasoning for making the smaller 20 gallon refuge and 20 gallon skimmer sections within the 40's? As for the wavemaker, there wouldn't be no second guessing it. That along with a good quality skimmer should be the best you can afford. I would definitely get the wavemaker. Especially, if you plan to turn this system into a mixed reef. Either way, better water movement aids in a more stable system. So there are pluses all around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple Q's. Is the sump actually going to be 2 separate 40 gallon containers/ tanks? If so, What is your reasoning for making the smaller 20 gallon refuge and 20 gallon skimmer sections within the 40's? As for the wavemaker, there wouldn't be no second guessing it. That along with a good quality skimmer should be the best you can afford. I would definitely get the wavemaker. Especially, if you plan to turn this system into a mixed reef. Either way, better water movement aids in a more stable system. So there are pluses all around.
Hi Jessemac! Thanks for your comments! :) I'm using two 40 gallon containers as sumps because I can fit the dimensions in the space I have. (You'll see what I mean as the build progresses.) The reason for the smaller containers inside the 40 gallon containers is to maintain consistent water levels for the skimmer and refugium. The big container's water level may fluctuate with evaporation and such, but the smaller containers will remain constant. :3195:

I am thinking more about the wavemaker, but I have time before I cross that road.:victory:

I also got this in today...2 more are on the way...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Revision 1 of the plan, now that I have a dedicated fish room.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not much new going on this week. Equipment keeps coming in, and I try to do a little on the drywall everyday. I also like to lurk in the forums and search for new things for this hobby. Something I just found that peek'd my interest is this open source controller called Reef Angel. It looks like it'll do pretty much everything I'd like it to do, and be programmable and expandable enough for the future. I'm familiar with the Arduino processor and it's language, and I've built my own controllers that run automated Christmas lights that sync to music....(Yeah, I'm one of THOSE guys.) Now if I could just get the "bank" to let loose the purse strings....:)

Here's my Christmas display from 2009 at our old house....music starts about a minute into the video.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Nice to see you back in the hobby and to see your plans. This is going to be another great build thread.
Keep up updated with progress and lots of pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts