Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about ready to add my first corals I think. I plan on checking LFS in the area for some good mushrooms and button polyps. I am also going to pick up an Kenya tree frag this Friday. Does this sound like a good set for a beginner? I am curious what things I should look for when picking out corals and also wondering if anyone knew of a good source of waving hand coral?

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts

All of the corals that you mention are intrusive and grow quite fast. Case in point they are great corals to start with. I have some frags of each you can have for free. I work in Auburn Hills start at 8:30 so if you can meet me Ill bring them. PM me.

Tom

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you want invasive corals for a beginner,I will give you a Kenya tree, some waving xiena and I have a large hairy mushroom for $25 (like 7") and I'll toss in a purple mushroom too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
i dont know about large "hairy" shrooms eatin fish BUT i know of the rather large shrooms being called "elephant ear " type shrooms eating fish.my buddy has one of these elephant ear shrooms and it ate a clown that was hosting it . one day it rolled into a balloon around the clown and then dinner was done . im just guessing that there is some difference between the two shrooms other than size . but yes some shrooms will eat your fish.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ty all for you generosity and advice. I think I'll stick with basic mushrooms for now lol no hairy mushrooms and definitely no elephant ears. As for the invasive nature of these corals, thanks for the heads-up. I however have to admit I'm very partial to them anyway. I love polyps and they will most likely make up most of my tank, along with a few softies and LPS eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.