Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't really want to do it but it's time I face up to the fact I'll probably never do any more stained glass work.:(

We were looking around yesterday and due to the business/hobby taking over every nook and cranny in the house, we decided we really need to get rid of the stuff we have been storing for these hobbies. I hate giving it up.

But between all my glass, glass scraps, equipment and misc glass stuff, they just take up too much needed room. I had a whole shop set up at one time, making glass to sell at craftshows and doing custom stained glass work. I had to box it all up when I started the business, and haven't touched most of it since.

Funny I thought once the kids moved out we'd have tons of room!
It's hard to go from being a pack rat to getting rid of anything I don't use regularly:mad:

Hubby is giving up on woodworking also. Getting rid of all his big tools except the tablesaw. He gave up his woodshop to the business awhile back, so nowhere left to work on anything anymore.

So what hobbies have you given up for reefing?

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I'm a lot less into fly fishing than I used to be...the free time I used to spend on that is now spent on reefing activities. I essentially stopped trying to sell flies a couple years ago now. I just need to find a buyer for the ecommerce site and the 1000's of dozens of flies I have in inventory.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell off my stuff.
I wish my daughter was interested. I've never used Craigslist, but I may have to try it.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I've pretty much given up my cabinetmaking and woodworking. Not enough time or space. Reefing takes most of the extra time and space.

I look at this as a transition from past interests to newer ones.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
BeakerBob said:
Yeah, that's how I look at it also.

I use to mountain bike 2-3 times a week. The tough, off road type of stuff. I would rollerblade with my friends 2 times a week.

Now, after (1) child, (3) cats, (1) spouse, (2) reef tanks, I just don't have time anymore.

The bike hasn't been off it's hooks in over a year. The rollerblades haven't seen black top in almost two.

·
Registered
477 Posts
BeakerBob said:
I've pretty much given up my cabinetmaking and woodworking. Not enough time or space. Reefing takes most of the extra time and space.

Seems as though you could combine the two! Maybe one hobby could help pay for the other. :D

-Scott

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I used to be an avid Magic: The Gathering player... even went to a few tournaments... won two... got about 90lbs of cards that I don't even use anymore...

I no longer do my mountain biking or bmx stuff anymore either.

Pretty much stopped computer and game modding also...

hmm, this is kind of depressing actually... perhaps fish are smarter than we think and this is their plan to take over the world...?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Johnos said:
I used to be an avid Magic: The Gathering player... even went to a few tournaments... won two... got about 90lbs of cards that I don't even use anymore...
If I were you I would have taken that one to the grave. Just Kidding.

I use to make a lot more wine then I do now. It doesn't seem nearly as fun anymore. The drinking part is great, but the production isn't as cool as watching a tank you made.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
DlBerlin said:
Yeah I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell off my stuff.
I wish my daughter was interested. I've never used Craigslist, but I may have to try it.
Sounds like you need a bigger house Deb! I just sold my old telescope on Craigslist... worked pretty well for me. Took a little while to co-ordinate the sale, but it worked out well.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I gave up RC Car racing, I was at one point a factory sponsored driver too. I was in the top 10 in MI in off road buggy, "stock" class. I also gave up on RC airplanes and Helicopters, I never did much with those, but they sure were fun. (Expensive, just like my other hobby... :rolleyes: )

Sometimes I wish I had more time for photography, but that takes priority over reefing for me anyway, it is the darn day job that takes away from that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I gave up paintball a few years ago, mostly so I could sell that off to buy fish tanks to breed and raise cichlids. Now 2.5 years later I have one cichlid and only one 45 gallon freshwater tank that it is in. Thats down from about 1200 fish and 600+ gallons of tanks a year ago.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Geez Deb you scared me. My first thought was you were giving up your reef. I have pretty much been into aquariums since I was 12. I guess I don't spend as much time with my Corvette.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
one that bugs me

I always wanted to learn to play guitar, I found a nice one shortly before I found this hobby. well still need to learn basic cords. have thought about selling it but so far I can't bring myself too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I used to do some glasswork- lampworking and stained glass- but I got worried about the fumes from the torch and from soldering and the effects on my parrots. I sold all my lampworking on eBay- but still have a ton of glass,etc that I would not want to ship- so I have held onto that- but figured I could always solder in the summer on the deck outside or in the garage. Well, of course that never happened.

Julie

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've pretty much given up coin collecting. I went from serious collector to nearly nothing. The hobby just takes up too much money and I'd rather do something that I'm enjoying a bit more right now. Not enough coin material in this area to keep me happy. I've pretty much cherry picked through most stuff.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I used to be an avid guitar player... played for hours a day, then i stated a reef tank... I have picked up my guitar 2 times in 2 months, and one of those times was to move it out of my way, so i could do a water change....
sad...:(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sharkboy87 said:
I used to be an avid guitar player... played for hours a day, then i stated a reef tank... I have picked up my guitar 2 times in 2 months, and one of those times was to move it out of my way, so i could do a water change....
sad...:(
My tank rpelaced my free time from myspace and my g/f's freetime with whatever she did to us both on the tank (though not literally lol)^.^

·
Registered
164 Posts
Actuallyt went the other way for awhile, put the tank on hold while I was building a home theater. After a year I missed the tank and got back in, only I setup my old tank and as it was cycling realized I wanted bigger. Tore that down and went to a 90 drilled w/ fuge. Glad I did both.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
turning wood into coral

I play guitar much less than I used to. I have a pretty nice collection of them and now I look at some of them and I see cash for a tank upgrade and some corals. I would never get rid of all of them but I may sell a few.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts