Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I messed up! I measured my 50 gallon sump inner dimensions at 12 inches. I know, I should have know better, this isnt the first sump I have made. But, I went with glass this time as it was cheaper to have a glass shop cut it than for me to buy 1/4 Impact resistant Lennex at Lowes and cut it myself. Which is all I have used on every other sump I have made with no problems.
The problem is, that the inner dimensions are at more like 14-15/16. Is there a way to trim the glass without cracking it? The glass shop says they may be able to do it, but its not guaranteed and if I need to baffles cut, its out of my wallet. Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Yes you can cut the glass yourself. Get the glass knife, use a strait edge It scores the glass. Then turn over and break along the score. Look up cutting glass on utube.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you can cut the glass yourself. Get the glass knife, use a strait edge It scores the glass. Then turn over and break along the score. Look up cutting glass on utube.
These baffles are already cut. I just picked them up from Monroe Glass. I'm wondering if they can be trimmed a 1-2/16 of an inch without cracking the rest of the piece?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ace Hardware

Just bring them into Ace Hardware, they will cut them for you real cheap.

I tried using the acrylic stuff from Lowes for baffles, they ended up flexing to much, and it was hard to get a good seal with the silicone.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bring them into Ace Hardware, they will cut them for you real cheap.

I tried using the acrylic stuff from Lowes for baffles, they ended up flexing to much, and it was hard to get a good seal with the silicone.
It works and I've proven that with all my sumps. This is the first sump I have made where there will be glass baffles. All the others were High impact Lennex from Lowes, 1/4 inch thick. Used GE Silicone and has been working for the better part of a year now, no issues. In fact, I had to remove one baffle and had a heck of a time getting it out.

The 1/4 inch thick glass baffles I have now, have already been cut to 12 inches wide. They are 1/16/ to 2/16 to wide and ned to be trimmed if possible. I guess I didnt make that apparent in my first post. I think I'm going to just take them back to the glass shop and pray they dont crack them trying to trim them. Its my mistake not theres, so it will come of of my wallet and I will have to pay to have new ones made...*****!

·
Registered
465 Posts
baffles

I bought my baffles ( glass ) at Lowes and had the exact same problem, and they were too big, particularly at the seals of aquarium, they said there was NO way to trim that small amount off the glass.
Dave

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
this is to everyone that uses glass baffles in there sumps...

I just cut my finger to the bone the other night reaching into my sump and catching my finger on the edge of the glass baffle, and it cost me 4 stitches. Not trying to high-jack your thread, just putting the warning out there...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is to everyone that uses glass baffles in there sumps...

I just cut my finger to the bone the other night reaching into my sump and catching my finger on the edge of the glass baffle, and it cost me 4 stitches. Not trying to high-jack your thread, just putting the warning out there...
that *****! sorry to hear that. No high-jacking here. I would prefer others to share any and all experiences.
But, I did think of that and asked them to finish the edges of the glass seemed. Not sure if it was tempered or not. It is plate glass. I will ask when I drop them off. I'm off to the the glass shop now. Probably wont see the baffles again until tomorrow assuming there is good success and none are broken in the trimming process.

·
Registered
519 Posts
pretty hard to CUT 1/16 to 1/8 strip off your glass, but they can grind that much off with no problem. This will also allow them to put a rounded edge to the glass so you don't cut yourself on the edges. My wife used to do stained glass and she had to grind pieces of glass all day long. You cut it close and then grind it to the exact fit.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
that *****! sorry to hear that. No high-jacking here. I would prefer others to share any and all experiences.
But, I did think of that and asked them to finish the edges of the glass seemed. Not sure if it was tempered or not. It is plate glass. I will ask when I drop them off. I'm off to the the glass shop now. Probably wont see the baffles again until tomorrow assuming there is good success and none are broken in the trimming process.
Good idea.. :p
View attachment 15660

Good luck with them cutting the glass, I've been told anything under a 3" cut on the edge it is a 50-50 chance. but that is what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea.. :p
View attachment 15660

Good luck with them cutting the glass, I've been told anything under a 3" cut on the edge it is a 50-50 chance. but that is what I've heard.
Pretty nasty cut. That is about what they told me. The guy said he may be able to trim it or it may crack. Hoping for the best. And, the glass was not tempered, so that is a plus.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i know great lakes aquarium may be far for u but they will cut any size baffels u need and sand the edges so u wont get cut..... they may cut what u have already as well, steves a pretty good guy....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I disagree with most on here, for you to cut that small amount you're probably going crack it, I have a cutter and have cracked many baffles trying to cut small pieces off. I would let the shop cut 1/4" off and you can fill the 1/8" gap with your silicone. It will give them more room to work with and a higher chance of success. Or you could ask them to sand it down and it may work as well.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input. I just received a call from the Monroe Glass this afternoon. They did have to cut 3 out of 5, new baffles as they cracked while trying to trim them. On the plus side, I only have to pay for labor and not all the new baffles, which is exceptional service. I was expecting to have to pay for new baffles as they cut the originals to what I asked for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts