Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would document the life of one of my favorite fish. This gobi has been with me for I think about 12 years. When I got him he looked like the first picture. Yellow and skinny. As he grew a little I bought another one and they became inseperable. After a few months, they turned grayish brown and developed bright blue spots all over him and became almost colorful. After a few years they started to spawn and kept spawning all their life until the female died last year at about 11 years old.
The male who is just over 4" continued to be healthy until last week when I noticed he did not come out to eat and I had to feed him in his cave. Then I practically had to hand feed him and this morning, before the lights came on, I noticed him sleeping in the front of the tank. This fish never came to the front so I knew the end was near. Today he is refusing his favorite meal of clam even if I put it right in his mouth. I am pretty sure he is also blind.
I am not sure how long gobies live but I am quite sure this one is dying of old age. He has no paracites, torn fins or cloudy eyes and he can swim.
Except for the fact, he is no longer eating and is sitting in the front, he looks perfect. I think tomorrow will be his last day and if I could catch him I would remove him today because I am sure the bristle worms will grab him as he becomes weaker.
I will miss him.

A baby

Teenager with his main squeeze

Tending the eggs

Middle age

In morning for his sweetheart

Early this morning hanging out near the front glass.
This will be his last picture of him.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That fish is more than half my age though. Lol.
Then my tank is almost twice as old as you. :wacko:

He is a cool fish. But he did have a good life. I will try to catch him tonight before the bristle worms get him. I imagine he may have a few more days to go but it is not worth it and I would rather let him die in peace.
He looks so sad now because he is on the side of the tank near the front just starring out at me. Although I think he is almost blind. I know that look as I have seen it many times before. But I feel that if a fish can live long enough to die of old age, I did my job and I am happy for him.
Fish go downhill very fast when their lifespan is almost over.

·
Registered
519 Posts
too bad it had to end. I have often wondered how long a fish will live.

I have a damsel that is almost 16 years old. He is large and in charge of the tank. I got him just before my wife and I got married and we have our 15 year anniiversary this year. I actually had his brother also, til he jumped out of the tank about 5 years ago. Kind of curious how long he will alst, as of now he shows no sign of age at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But to keep them 10 and 20% longer says a lot about how well you took care of them. Good Work
I read to him every night, maybe that helps. :secret:

Looks like a yellow watchmen
I never looked up their real name but I think they are also watchmans.
He is not my oldest fish but he is up there.
If I can catch him ,I will euthanize him:(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He died at 7:00pm tonight. I just watched him take his last breath.
Then I autopsed his gills to see if I could find any paracites because that is the best way to tell if you have any in your tank.
He had the gills of a teenager, who never smoke.
His gills were in perfect shape and I could not find one gill filimant out of place or even one paracite, which is strange.
But I know he died of old age and nothing else. There was no need to do a full autopsy

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
How I really enjoyed this journal very sad but makes you realize how attached us humans before with our pets.
I lost my favorite fish a couple weeks ago he was a goby that I had for about 8 years. He made it thought rough times when my tank was thriving and when my tank suffered due to my neglect. Overall he will be missed.

I wish we would hear more stories like yours I will give it 5 stars and like your post

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Great story and well done on keeping them together for so long. Sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like they had a good life. Ever think that he could have died from lonliness. It is not uncommon for Dogs and even people to give up on life when a mate or close companion dies.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jesse, I think you are giving him a little too much credit. I am not sure how long a fishes memory is but I don't think they think too much into it. I hope not anyway because I eat fish almost every day.
Not in front of my fish of course. I don't want them to hate me. :secret:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I dont know Jesse may be right. My fish recognize me I have two different species of wrasse that will swim in my hand and "play" with me if my wife tries it they dont even come close. I think people dont give the animals of our world enough credit. Its probably old age that took him but maybe he would have lived another year if his mate would have still been around. We will never know but it sounds like he had a happy life and was well cared for and loved.

Oh yea and fish dont have the same social edicates as us they dont care if they didnt know the fish you or they are eating!:jester: They would probably be mad because you didnt share. lol

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I think fish are pretty intelligent. I have a pink spot gobi that loves my 3 year old daughter. He hates everyone else. I come to that tank, gone. She comes over, he comes right out to the glass. She can tap the glass and everything, he dont care.

I had a friend feed my fish for a few days. My big naso tang wouldnt eat the entire time I was gone. I think we dont give them enough credit.

I showed my wife your story. That is definitely touching. Way to go keeping a fish that long. True success story.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.