Michigan Reefers banner

Who is at fault when new Frags have Predators?

• Buyer

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Seller

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Both

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • George W. Bush

Votes: 12 19.4%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The use of a good Quarantine Tank and appropriate dips could save you from lots of work and headaches not to mention coral loss, with all the nasty things out there like Nudi`s, SPS eating flatworms, Red Bugs, it is just not worth it. I would like to see ALL SELLERS thoroughly check their coral for these predators before making any sales.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have to agree that sellers should make sure thay are bug free. IMO it is just as important for the buyer to treat, Qt, and dip. I have always felt you can't blame anyone but yourself for getting something. Not everyone knows what to look for, educating yourself on these pest is the only way to be safe. I have a very good friend that i trade with very often. Even though i have seen his tank and know that his corals are pest free, I still dip and treat. He does the same, there no hard feeling it just be safe.

·
Registered
125 Posts
IMO sellers ultimately should make sure there tanks are pest free before selling, I think. Knowing that they have a pest problem and pass it along to other reefers seems down right rude to me! Some buyers don't necessarily have the room or equipment for quarantine tanks to take the necessary precautions for pest invasion.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Ultimately, it is the responsibility of both parties, the seller for disclosure and as a reflection of the quality of their reefing capabilities and the buyer for self-protection and defense.

Because of the infestations that have cropped up in the reefing community, I will be bringing my microscope to the MMMC Lansing Swap on February 10 to allow reefers to screen their corals if they wish.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I wouldn't put blame on anyone so to speak. If the seller does not know they have a pest, because they haven't seen it or don't know what to look for, they really shouldn't be one to blame, and the buyer the same. Though that being said, anything going into your tank, being a responsible person would suggest that you QT or at least dip everything you put in there, be it from a store, or another reefer. You could buy something from someone who's tank is infested with flat worms, and if you get flat worms, well it stinks, but it can happen, that's why the dips are out there and suggested for everything, on top of QT.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The buyer should also treat every coral as if the worst!
Have a Q tank ready for them and the treatments nec to recover them.
Some people dont know they have them, and the very small if any % that do and dont care if they pass them.
So i say treat every coral as if it was infested. Q tank/Watch/Treat!!!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
BeakerBob said:
Ultimately, it is the responsibility of both parties, the seller for disclosure and as a reflection of the quality of their reefing capabilities and the buyer for self-protection and defense.

Because of the infestations that have cropped up in the reefing community, I will be bringing my microscope to the MMMC Lansing Swap on February 10 to allow reefers to screen their corals if they wish.
Sorta like the police and candy at holloween. ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
If a buyer wants a predator/parasite free aquarium, it's purely their responsibility to take the measures required to do so.

·
Registered
757 Posts
most of the time a seller has more experience then a buyer i know 3years ago when i got into this hobby and was doing most of my buying i did not know what red bugs where Lucky for me i bought from reputable sellers like mustang and wyane i think most of the responsibility should go on the seller

·
Registered
347 Posts
I feel it is the sellers responsibility. When I've sold fish in the past I felt comfortable being able to gaurantee to buyers that my fish were disease free! Saying it's the buyers responsibility opens the door for people to sell what they know is disease infested. Yes, there are unethical people on these boards so don't act like that is something that would not happen.

Putting responsibility on the seller would cause them to take extra precaution in ensuring a healthy specimen because if they didn't word could potentially get out and affect the number of corals (if any corals) they sell at the next swap!

caveat emptor, is a dangerous thing to propose because many people will purposly be taken advantage of. Not to mention the revenge that someone could act out!

What goes around comes around.... usually ten fold!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Dave said:
If a buyer wants a predator/parasite free aquarium, it's purely their responsibility to take the measures required to do so.
Agreed, Or i could come by for a small fee and do it for them. ;)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
bottom line, it's buyers responsibility to dip and keep stuff clean. The seller if they have more experience they should be able to tell how to care for the corals and such.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Raptor, if you can gaurantee a buyer your frags are pest free, you certainly should charge more and let the buyer know why. This will put more confidence in the buyers decision....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I also agree both parties. Sellers should do their best to offer corals that are in top condition, health and disease/pest free. The buyer is also responsible. Some of these pests can be missed or passed along and maybe the seller honestly did not know they had something.

We QT everything whether it comes from a private hobbyist/LFS/Online Top Notch place. During the QT everything is treated for what it may have. When they are moved to the QT tank they are dipped as well.

I would also never guarentee fish to be disease free reguardless of how long we had them. When we moved our tank this past summer all fish we had for a long time, no new additions, fish broke with a small cycle of ich when it was reset up. Stress can bring out diseases/parasites that have been sitting dormant. Moving homes is one of the greatest stresses to fish.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hardcz said:
bottom line, it's buyers responsibility to dip and keep stuff clean. The seller if they have more experience they should be able to tell how to care for the corals and such.
You contradicted your own statement.;) I think both share the burden and if the seller has no idea about these pests, they should rethink their selling of frags, because there are certainly enough new reefers that do not know what to look for. We need to think of it as buying a used car, you don`t know where it`s been or how it was treated and a thorough inspection might help avoid potential problems.

·
Registered
757 Posts
all i know is not to many people would buy any thing from a questionable seller no mater who's responsibility it is.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Based on the wording of the question:
"Who is at fault when new frags have predators"

It's the seller's responsibility. Hopefully, since they are selling, they are knowledgeable about the pests in their frags and system and not wittingly pass them to the next person.

If the wording on the question was something like:
"Who is at fault when frags introduce predators into an existing system"

then I would've answered the buyer is responsible.

QT! QT! QT! and treat if necessary. Or just treat everything that comes in. As some of you may know, some corals are sensitive to the variety of treatments - which is why QTing them is important because it allows you to find any hitch-hikers consequently treat on a case-by-case basis. A few days/week now in QT will save on a lot of time, expense and aggravation later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts