Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after seeing the color of corals pop under leds over the last year or so and continuing to see my electric bill so high I am switching! I have picked up 2-24X 8.75 heat sinks and I am buying the 36 led dimmable set on rapidled.com. I am planning on updating with how difficult it is to install the leds and the impact on my corals in comparison to the 175 watt mh they are currently under. I have a 75 gallon tank so I should get great coverage with the bigger heat sinks. I plan on adding 36 more leds and maybe another smaller heat sink and using it on my 180 (currently freshwater) when I graduate college. If anyone has any pointers, I am all ears.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do you plan on using optics? If so what degree?

The degree of difficulty is not high if you do your research and plan it out. I built an LED light for my ex's tank and found it to be a simple task.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
updates

Hi guys, I have started building the fixture with the help of a friend. We worked on it Sunday night and Monday night for a couple hours and have all the leds in place and the wires sodered on. We are planning on hooking up the drivers, periometer and ac adapter on Thursday and hopefully by Thursday night I will be all ready to test it out! I am very excited after seeing his diy actinic strip I think these are going to be sweet! So far it has not been as bad as I excepted. However, I have heard what we have left is the most difficult part so we will see!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
complete!

The process was much easier than I anticipated! The result is wonderful all my corals are getting great extension and my bubbletip anemones are actually forming bubbles. VERY pleased and would recommend anyone trying to decide what lighting to do what I did. 280$ for the 36 led kit from rapidled.com plus your heat sink cost and misc costs solder gun solder and some 22 gauge wire ( the little pieces given to you are not big enough in most applications). Energy savings will help offset the cost but I am looking forward to not buying bulbs for the next 10 yrs (apparently...I would be happy with 5). I have had t5 and mh and either way you have approx 100$ to 150$ in replacement cost for a 4 to 6 bulb t5 or 2 mh bulbs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey you said your buddy did a antic strip, I am thinking about doing the same but think that the 24 leds on the 48 inch strip is to many, Will 18 or 12 leds be ok on a 48 inch strip? Or should i go with the 24?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pictures

Ik! I don't have an actual camera....just the phone :-( as far as the actinic strip he has 19 over a 36 inch tank and I would say you could easily get away with 18 over a 48 inch tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.