Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to upgrade my lights my 250 10k Xm's are just too dang yellow even with actinic. I LOVE the 14k phoenix bulb.. but they are DE.. my luminarcs are SE.. so i would either have to buy the DE sockets, mod the luminarcs and hope my Blueline ballast would fire them... OR buy SE bulbs that i dont know about and hope they look good if they dont then i will sell them for less than they are worth. what bulbs have you seen close to the 14k phoenix, that are SE? does such a bulb exist?

G

·
Ive been happy with the Hamilton 14k's, noticed good growth and good color to the tank without actinic supplementation.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I also use Hamilton 14K with no actinic supplementation and it looks superb. The pic below is of the Hamilton the 2nd day of use. After about 2 weeks it whitens up a touch but still have a nice crisp blue tint. Looks fantastic, I'm very happy with it. It looks a lot bluer in the picture than it actually is but gives you an idea.

G

·
alvieman said:
I also use Hamilton 14K with no actinic supplementation and it looks superb. The pic below is of the Hamilton the 2nd day of use. After about 2 weeks it whitens up a touch but still have a nice crisp blue tint. Looks fantastic, I'm very happy with it. It looks a lot bluer in the picture than it actually is but gives you an idea.

youre right they do whiten up a bit, the nice thing about them is there is no need to add actinic. Nice lookin tank btw.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I ran the 15k XM bulbs, then switched to the 10k. I am very dissapointed in the color of the 10k also, I will be switching back as soon as I need another bulb.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I switched to 10K XM's from 14K Hamiltons . . . I must admit that I prefer the color of the 14K Hamiltons over the 10K XM's, but the growth from the XM's far exceeds the growth I got from the Hamiltons. But if you're more about color than growth, then maybe you might like 'em.
I've got a 6-month used 250W old SE 14K Hamilton that you can have to see if you like it . . . Though, I don't know how well metal halide lamps would hold up being shipped USPS. :confused:

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. -yes

·
Registered
721 Posts
Are you running magnetic or electronic ballasts? I didn't like the 250w Reeflux 12Ks on magnetic ballasts, but on electronic ballasts they look really nice.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Well I understand why the ones over a year are yellow, all bulbs color shift after a period of time. My experience is the 10ks shift after about 16 months.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Black71gp said:
anyone running the reeflux bulbs? i have read good reviews on the 10k
All of the frag pictures that Andrew (mf2055) and I take from the shop are under 14k (?) Reeflux, I really like the bulbs and the colors that pop with them. I will be swapping out my Avalon 10k's for Reeflux 14k's in the future. I like the prices too $55 for a bulb isn't bad at all.

Tide

Oh yeah I run SE 250's

·
Registered
669 Posts

Dejavu said:
I love my 12k reeflux on my blueline-e ballast. Great color and great growth.
I didn't know they made a 12k. So they make a 10k, a 12k and a 14k? Does any other manufacturer do that? I'll probably look into 12k over 14k I'd like to supplement with actinic but don't want it to be too blue. Black do you supplement with actinic?

Tide

·
Registered
669 Posts
Really? I know the blbs we habve at work are reeflux...and I cold have sworn the little white letters say 14000k lol. Makes me wonder what they really are. I'll have to check this afternoon.

Tide

1 - 20 of 32 Posts