Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on a mission today to find some healthy perc clowns, I was successful! From house of pets in garden city I got a pair of perc clowns for $42 otd, they were str8 out of a delivery box and I got to pick my two out of about 15-20 they had delivered today, I acclimated them via the shot glass of my water into theirs every 15 mins for 2 hours, added to the tank around 7 pm today, they are super hyper and haven't stopped swimming up and down the front of the tank, should I try and feed them? All I currently have for food is spectrum Thera + A pellets, should they eat that fast after being delivered to the store then str8 from the box to my house? Wasn't sure if I should even attempt to feed them til tom, also added a 1200 maxi due to my pump stopped working this morn :/ and 3 snails to clean the glass!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would pick up some mysis shrimp as well. When I first got my snowflake clown. I tried 6 different types of food and he wouldn't eat any of them for 2 days, nothing. I called the LFS I purchased him from and they said they had been feeding him mysis for the past month. So, I went and bought some. Walla, he was eating and is now starting to accept other foods as I like to feed a variety to all my fishes. But, yes, I would try to feed them. I'm assuming your lights are already off. So in the am when the lights come on, or shortly there after, try to feed them a very small amount. If they eat some, give them a bit more, cautiously. you dont want the food to just sink and decay.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is mysis frozen? How do you feed frozen? And is it normal for them to just go up and down the front of the tank? I have 23-28lbs of live rock with all kinds of caves and stuff and they haven't even seemed to notice it

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
What size is your tank? and being you just got them, they are still adjusting and it may take some time for them to settle in. Yes, mysis is usually frozen in either cubes or sheets. You thaw it out in either RO water or tank water. Some people rinse it and strain it with a fine mesh net prior to feeding to reduce the amount of impurities added to the take with some foods. Say if you get the cubes, cut a small piece about half or less and feed that. Not all at once, a small amount every couple minutes until it is gone. Assuming they are eating it of course.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 29 bio, and I'll have to get some mysis ASAP! Might be at the show on Sunday, I'll attempt some pellets tom after they have some time to settle and see if they take em

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It's a 29 bio, and I'll have to get some mysis ASAP! Might be at the show on Sunday, I'll attempt some pellets tom after they have some time to settle and see if they take em
There is also Mysis Feast by ReefNutrition that most LFS seem to carry. Another great product. Do some research and call the LFS in the morning to ask them what they were feeding. Nevermind that, you said you picked them up directly from the shipment.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Clowns like to pick a place in the tank and hang out right there, usually not venturing around too much and they don't go into the rock work or hide in the rocks like some fish.

Before you run all over just see if they will eat your food you have on hand and they probably are hungry after being in shipping containers.

I have a mated pair just like those, that I have had for at least 4 years and they eat any kind of food I put in the tank.

There kinda of a saltwater tank staple but after they get a little older they settle down and tend to just stay put in there spot, mine like digging in the sand in a back corner and that's what they spend most of there time doing and if I see one out halfway across the tank I wonder why and where he is going lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.