Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon tall with HOB Filter and a BakPak skimmer. The rock is starting to grow grow green alga. Could anyone tell me what kind of alga?

My tank has just started to cycle. The rock was dry live rock. It is curing in the tank. There is nothing in the tank but rock and sand!
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
373 Posts
how long do you have your lights on if you just started to cycle i would leave them off and it should go away.

G

·
I did my initial fill with tap & a year later I still have problems with phosphates..I now run enough stuff to keep in under control...But anytime I seen algae that neon it turned into cyanobacteria..Check your phosphates & what is yoor tank turnover (amount of flow in main tank)? Jim

·
Registered
191 Posts
jim197722 said:
Also....you don't need your light....Shut it off for a bit, let the tank cycle, & gradually add light...
right! light adds to growth in there like said algae. in a way it can be semi helpfull in cycling as it will help buffer the water amounts from negative trace elements, but thats a huge cleanin job in the long run for any kind of crew. especialy if it grew alot.

make sure phosphates are low, and slowly add light over periods of hours/per days based off of cyling time preffered. is this going to be reef or fowlr?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
green alga

I want to have Fowlr tank then start to move to a reef. I just set this tank up 2 weeks ago. I will cut my lights today. Give it three days and start the lights up. I used Tap water. I going to get a RO unit in the next couple months. Is there something I can put in the tank to lower phosphates? If I put Cheato in the tank will it help starve the bad alga? Thanks, Ryan

G

·
alright.....The problem with using tap for the initial fill...You rocks are gonna suck up the phosphates like a sponge...(not saying the sponges in our tanks do? or do they?) something else to read I guess............ & your substrate too.....Over the next oh say...couple of years.....I don't know really how long...but for some time it will countinue to leach it back into the water......I would let it cycle without lights....After your cycle is complete I would add a phosban reactor to your system...It ***** up phosphates really good..& run cheato.....It's been a year from my fillup & if I stop running granular ferric oxide (phosban)...I will have an algae bloom...I have that same color algae in my substrate up against the glass...I would have to guess it is feeding off the phosphates locked into the rock & substrate...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts