Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best thing for green film algae? What eats this stuff I have 11 hermits already and 1 snail and a few stromatellas should I just majorly up my snail numbers? Or is there something good for it? I need it for my glass and my rocks I can always clean the glass but the rocks are harder

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
snails. much better for this problem than hermits. hermit are more for eating waste food and dying material. buy a bunch of little snails. im assuming you have one large one, like a turbo right now.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Astrea snails. Bumble bee snails. Margarita snails are all good at this. But no matter what you will always have to clean the glass.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind cleaning w glass I just want them to clean the rocks lol there getting too green for my taste I can't even brush it with a toothbrush anymore

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bumble bee snails are carnivores not herbivors they can and will kill and eat other snails, worms and sessile inverts like clams if they dont have enough leftovers, detritus and or dying critters.
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Bumble Bee Snail
Bumble Bee snails? REEFLAND!!!!?
Just saying. Now if the issues is from food waste then yes great idea. I'd go for the more safe (but not totally) nassarius. Or a know eater of film algaes like ceriths. Good luck.
So what do u reccomend is the best for it

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Everyone is skirting around the real issue here. Snails will help keep algae in check, BUT will not solve the problem. You need to remove the food source of the algae (nitrates and phosphates) thorugh water changes using only r.o water and make sure your tank is not overstocked, and you're not overfeeding. In a 90 gallon I have 1 turbo snail and several Hawaiin Strombus Snails (about 1.4" in size). I do have an urchin too. Beyond that, I have no clean up crew for algae and have no green hair algae. You can get all the clean-up crew in the world, but they won't solve the issue long term and will create waste in your tank, providng more algae fuel.

So what's the best for it? Maintenance:)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
my bad on the bumble bee snails.

how bad is this issue? if its just a little bit growing on the glass ever couple days or so there may not be a nutrient issue.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not terrible I have no hair or anything I have to clean the glass maybe twice a week max I just didn't know if there was something to keep it off the rocks

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Doesnt soums like theres a real issue there. Maybe time to add or replace a small amount of gfo if its something you dont want to see. Snails will keep it off you rocks

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts