Michigan Reefers banner
8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  lemonjello 
#1 ·
My Green Star Polyps are turning a cream/tan color. They still have a small amount of green in the tips of the polyps but their are a few completely cream colored polyps. So I am worried that they will all become cream colored. I have them under 4 - 24watt light bulbs. two attinic and 2 daylight. Any suggestions? Do I have them too close to the light? They are on the top rock.

#3 ·
How long have you had them? - about 4-5 months

How long have they been in that spot? - Since I have had them.

Where did they come from? - A place called coralreeftoledo that is in perrysburg ohio..... IDK why they have that name..... haha Maybe it should be coralreefperrysburg..... idk. Welcome to the Coral Reef

Where were they in that tank? - Same spot as they have always been.

#6 ·
The Coral Reef used to be in Toledo years ago, off Jackman I believe it was, so long ago...lol. I was last at that locations back in 2003 when I had a FOWLR tank and new nothing about saltwater. I've been to the one in Perrysburg now owned buy the son and daughter of the previous owner. Nice place. Anyway... It is hard to say why the GSP are now starting to bleach. Has anything else changed with your tank? Adding any new supliments, new water change containers? What type of bulbs are you currently using? Maybe they need replacing.

#8 ·
my gsp loses its color in specific areas if there are other corals close by . most of the time they will have grown right up to a mushroom or some palys and even some lps that may be within stinging range. but i would have to say more along the lines of creamy white , maybe even on the transparent side as opose to tan in color.
so you wouldnt happen to have anything close by that may be "stinging" the gsp do you ?

#11 ·
Jessemac....I don't go to coral reef toledo anymore because they were snobbish and acted as if they knew it all.

As for other corals near by I just have zoanthids but they are about 6 inches away..... I have a t5 lighting system with 4, 24 watt bulbs. 2 attinic 2 daylight. Should I leave my attinics on at night or should I keep them off. I usually have my moonlights on..... Someone told me to add iodide. So I added a little of that today. What is strange that I noticed is when under only my moonlight leds the GSP looks really green. I still see color in them it just looks more of a creamy green rather than a bright vibrant green during the day...... Water params are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate

#13 ·
Jessemac....I don't go to coral reef toledo anymore because they were snobbish and acted as if they knew it all.

As for other corals near by I just have zoanthids but they are about 6 inches away..... I have a t5 lighting system with 4, 24 watt bulbs. 2 attinic 2 daylight. Should I leave my attinics on at night or should I keep them off. I usually have my moonlights on..... Someone told me to add iodide. So I added a little of that today. What is strange that I noticed is when under only my moonlight leds the GSP looks really green. I still see color in them it just looks more of a creamy green rather than a bright vibrant green during the day...... Water params are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate
The Coral Reef, I didn't mention it the last post but I agree with you on that. Not to mention there prices are seriously way over the top. When I was there last, months and months ago. They wanted $40 for a single Bangi Cardinal amongst other over prices live stock. Anyway.
Dont add to much Iodide and if you plan to start dosing it. You should be testing for it. Personally, I would Swap the 2 atinics out and go with two ATI Blue+ bubls, or look into the new ATI Coral Plus bubls and replace them all. Once at a time over the course of a week. What Daylight bulbs are you running now? As for too much light.

Another note, I have a medium shell covered in Neon GSP that is directly under my MH about 3/4 the way up the tank and it hasn't looked better. Been there for a couple weeks now. I slowly moved it up and I want to blue a magnet to it and put in on the back glass. So I dont think too much light is an issue here. Maybe lack of as new bulbs could be in order depending on how old they are.

#17 ·
i agree on the bulbs if its not another coral bugging it . on the odysea subject , i too bought one of these lights (and yes these bulbs do suck) and immediatly changed to all ice cap ballast and ATI bulbs only .i made this choice after a side by side comparison.
so in short ,the spectrum put out by the LEDs in the fixture give you the color you were after but not the other bulbs. i would get new bulbs , i chose ATI over the KZ brand and have never used Geissmann. i use (2) blue+ (1) true actinic (1) aquablue special . i really like the looks of (2) actinics and no aquablue special but keep it any way for growth (even though its only 1). i have 3 tanks setup this way. and on a side note i also tryed ATIs purple bulb and didnt get much out of it as far as color goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.