Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
You need to identify what type it is generally tan ones are photosynthetic and easy to keep. on the other hand colored ones are nonphotosynthetic and need to be target fed and are difficult

·
Registered
395 Posts
My tank recently crashed and I had the same issue with mine. I moved it to a friend’s house (along with all my softies) and it came back just fine...
If it’s the photosynthetic type and you’re still having problems I bet you have a water problem as well... Whets your water perimeters?
Do you have pics?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have to test my water
no it is not touching any other corals
and yes it was out of the water for 20 seconds when someone gave it to me

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yes, gorgonians tend to like higher current. However, the fact that the gorgonian was taken entirely out of water is cause for some concern. These animals are not ever supposed to be exposed to air, as it can kill them. Keep an eye on polyp expansion and the white spots. If the white spots increase in size or you can see the gorgonian's rind, you'll need to cut the affected parts off of the main colony to prevent spreading.
-Jason

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
stronghandsmcgee said:
However, the fact that the gorgonian was taken entirely out of water is cause for some concern. These animals are not ever supposed to be exposed to air, as it can kill them.

I have 3 species of gorgonian, all of which where taken out of the water on more than one occasion. I think that is a bit of a myth. Photosynthetic Gorgonians like a ton of flow and strong lighting. I have had experiance where I changed flow patterns in my tank and one of my Gorgonians took a turn for the worse. I moved it into vigorous flow and high light. Instant improvement.

·
Registered
604 Posts
schminksbro said:
I have 3 species of gorgonian, all of which where taken out of the water on more than one occasion. I think that is a bit of a myth. Photosynthetic Gorgonians like a ton of flow and strong lighting. I have had experiance where I changed flow patterns in my tank and one of my Gorgonians took a turn for the worse. I moved it into vigorous flow and high light. Instant improvement.
Have to agree with you on this. I have had mine out a couple times when cleaning the tank or aquascaping and it doesn't seem to bother it at all. I have the purple with tan polyps species. I have noticed it is rather susceptible to other corals stings, Euphylias, Acans and Nepthea I know for sure have caused mine some grief... also, algeas and cyano definitely will easily overtake this coral. I had a short algae breakout when I upgraded my lighting and this coral seemed to welcome algae growth easily (and not in a good way). Keep the water quality up, in high flow, lots of light and feed it some Coral Frenzy (or other similar product) once or twice a week. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts