Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so i've been thinking about growing just algae, i've searched online and can't find a whole lot really useful. This would be its own system nothing else, what should i dose do you think to maximize algae growth (such as cheato, ulva, and gracilaria's)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
need iron, CO2, nitrate, phosphate, trace elements and light.... some fish? guppies or mollies maybe? something livebearing to dump a lot of nutrients and make other types of food. Seems like brackish water fish are more tolerable to bad water conditions than SW.... ??? IDK? I don't seem to have trouble growing macroalgae and micro in my display unfortunetly.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello everyone, so i've been thinking about growing just algae, i've searched online and can't find a whole lot really useful. This would be its own system nothing else, what should i dose do you think to maximize algae growth (such as cheato, ulva, and gracilaria's)
Have your light in the red nm (600nm+). Put a lid on the tank to increase CO2 levels. put a little pinch of fish food to add PO4 and NO3 every once in a while and your algae will grow quickly. not sure if you where planning on having fish in there of if this was a project simply for growing macro.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
you can grow ulva and caulerpa in a trash can in the backyard if you put an auto feeder on it.... as long as it does not freeze too hard or evap dry it will grow.

But if you want algae for feeding fish you can just go to the asian store and buy dried nori seaweed sheets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts