Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hair algea problem going on with my 24G nano. I got busy with a sick toddler and neglected the tank for a while and now, nothing I do can get rid of this stuff. Increased frequency of water changes, feeding less, shut lights off for days and shortened lighting cycle.

Now looking for a livestock solution. As I said, this is a 24G nano and it is stocked with a perc clown, purple firefish, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp and shrimp goby. I will note that my hermits have killed off most of my Astrea snails.

What would be my best bet? All my current fish and inverts have been in the tank for 8 months or more with zero losses. Would a lawnmower blennie fight with what I have? Should I try turbos? If so, how many?

Thanks for any and all help!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
white legged hermits will eat hair algae

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add that the majority of the hair algea is at the top of the backwall and on my loc-line returns...

Can hermits and emeralds get up there? Would they?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Then i would just remove the loc-line and scrub them with a brush and really hot water.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats where my hair algae is as well. My tank is pretty new, but I've been manually cleaning it weekly or so.

How big do emerald crabs grow?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Usually the best way to get it back in control is to just rip it out yourself. I'm battling it too lately and have found this to be the best way to go. Good luck

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hair Algae problems? For your nano Get 1 or 2 Mexican Turbo Snails, They will eat it all (as long as is the green stuff) do not buy more than 2 because they will starved to death. they cost like $1.50 to $3.00 bucks ea. they are cows of the reef.

If is Red Algae then you have to put a bag of phosphate remover until your tank gets back to normal.

Both work perfect for me.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I got a Hector's Goby from Choice and he's doing a good job of it. He's small, but persistent and winning the battle:D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fishtal said:
I got a Hector's Goby from Choice and he's doing a good job of it. He's small, but persistent and winning the battle:D
Are those the guys they had on sale a while back? Meant to get one and never made it up there for that.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
adawg said:
Are those the guys they had on sale a while back? Meant to get one and never made it up there for that.
Yup, those were the ones. I was looking at getting a Sea Hare, but the goby is doing a great job. Took him a while but, like I said, he's persistent, LOL

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Boy I am fighting this battle as we speak the back of my tank and loc-lines are full of this crap. Maybe we can get some feedback from members that have been fighting this and what they did successfully to get rid of it?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Is the tank getting direct sun light?

I moved my tank into the basement and since have had no outbreaks of hair algea. When my tank was upstairs, it would grow like weeds. I even tried using a phosban reactor.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ballhog said:
Is the tank getting direct sun light?
Mine isn't, but my lights were getting a little long in the tooth, so I replaced the actinic that I had, and am ordering a new daylight...That may be playing a part.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is the reason I bought the lawnmower blenny (that died very quickly). I have been battling this since shortly after I switched to Bio-Sea. I doubt that is any issue, but it puts a decent tick mark on my ability to track when it started.

I scrub my rock, do a 10% water change, vacuum my substrate, and the stuff is growing back in about 7-10 days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sand sifting goby is what I think I got from Kee's, hes awsome.Turns over the sand really nice , and he loves the hair alge.He has eaten a lot of it, and is really a nice fish.Looks nice with the long fins top and bottome. It's colors are great also, I do have a lawn mower blenny in there, and he will not touch the stuff, the turbos either, or the emerald crabs.The mexican hermits are cool, but they don't like it much either.But, that goby, hes got lots of personality, and is fun to watch.He grabs ten mouthfuls of sand,sifts them, then goes up for some "alge", then down for sand, its fun to watch him.

scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont recomend this but had a terriable algea problem in my 100 gal a year ago. after scrubbing,water changes,Rowaphos, Was about ready to tear it all down, added 200 blue leg hermits and 100 turbo snails. Started dosing very small amounts af Muratic acid as my ph was aound 8.6 almost immediatly the algea started dieing off, have not had an algea problem since. Halmidia algea has taken off and coraline algea doing great. ph around 8.0 now. clean the glass on the tank about once every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had a HUGE issue with this. I ended up getting a lawnmower blenny, and he got rid of most of it, but now he won't touch what I have left... Maybe to much of a good thing?! Who knows. I still have a little bit, but not a whole lot. I'm thinking about getting a foxface though, those work wonders on algea :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts