Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm noticing some people are unsure of the Differences between These types of LPS so, let's get a nice breakdown as to how we can ID them.

BTW, all of these corals have different color variations.

Anchor (Euphyllia ancora)

Looks very similar to a hammer coral in almost every aspect except the tips curve is so great that it nearly touches the other side.

Frogspawn Branching (Euphyllia paradivisa) Non-Branching (Euphyllia divisa)

These I believe are the easiest to ID, their tentacles have multiple tips that seem to come off the tentacle randomly

Hammer (Euphyllia fimbriata)

Their tips are slightly curved

Torch (Euphyllia glabrescens)

Rounded tips similar to a frogspawn, however each tentacle has one tip.

I may have the scientific names mixed up with the Hammer and Anchor coral... anyone feel free to correct me.

DISCLAIMER: I Did not take any of these photos. I found them while googling.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think you nailed it myself....Don't forget the branching hammer (Euphyllia parafimbriata). Isn't there also a branching anchor as well? Could be people or LFS get that mixed up with hammer....

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for bringing those to my attention, I'll have to look into them a bit more and locate some pics and scientific names.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Great photos!..

I thought that the difference between and anchor hammer was that a hammer branched like frogspan does and the anchor didn't...

·
Registered
687 Posts
bklynmet said:
Great photos!..

I thought that the difference between and anchor hammer was that a hammer branched like frogspan does and the anchor didn't...
I think your right about that......That is why I said I think most people and LFS's get them mixed up......I looked around on the net and couldn't find a true branching anchor.....So I think most if not all are mis-idendified as branching anchors....

·
Registered
51 Posts
While we are talking about these, watch out, they sting! I found out yesterday how potent they are. (Frogspawn) It still looks pretty nasty.
Looks like I'll be getting the longer/body gloves next time:D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
cr8signs said:
While we are talking about these, watch out, they sting! I found out yesterday how potent they are. (Frogspawn) It still looks pretty nasty.
Looks like I'll be getting the longer/body gloves next time:D
yes they do.. though some people have different reactions than others.. the first time I brushed up aainst it, I was red for a few days... Now, nothing... this may be the exception and not the rule, so always side on caution!

G

·
I just think they are more use to you & keep there sweepers in..i'll go months of touching my elegance & then WOW.......

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Great thread and pics! These are my Favorite corals:D Have you found a name for Hybrids that exhibit both "Anchor/Hammer" and "Frogspawn" type features in the same colony?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I bought a beautiful purple hammer today from Atlantis! The color is amazing, I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. Atlantis always has the coolest finds, WTG!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Azurel said:
I think your right about that......That is why I said I think most people and LFS's get them mixed up......I looked around on the net and couldn't find a true branching anchor.....So I think most if not all are mis-idendified as branching anchors....
Yup, no such thing as a branching anchor, only branching hammer.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like a frogspawn to me also.

I haven't had time to looks for the info about the Anchors or Hammers, I've been out getting stuff ready for my sump/refugium build and how to thread with cichlid333.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts