Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we had a small debate on keeping a harlequin shrimp in my tank.

I have two Serpent Stars, will the shrimp bother them for a meal?

Curious on other reefers points of views.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Our Harlequin shrimp has not bothered our serpent stars at all. It quickly decimated the asterina population though! We have had to hand feed it from our sump and other tanks- as it wiped our hundreds of asterina is a period of a few months.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's some good conversation, thanks Jim.

Looks like I'm going to get the harlequin. (if He's still at the store)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have tried numerous starfish species and found that the harlequin shrimp will take on any starfish species except the fast moving brittle / serpent stars. However, they will take exploratory tries at such starfish, but get spooked when the starfish is able to thrash about.

The Care of Harlequin Shrimp - Hope it is of use to you.

Chuck

·
Registered
360 Posts
I know that a lot of people keep a chocolate chip star in their sump so it doesn't decimate their reef.
Every week they'll cut off one of the CC stars legs and feed it to the harlequin in their display.
I don't really encourage it but it certainly is a "problem-solving" way to keep the species in your aquarium.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tubastrea said:
I know that a lot of people keep a chocolate chip star in their sump so it doesn't decimate their reef.
Every week they'll cut off one of the CC stars legs and feed it to the harlequin in their display.
I don't really encourage it but it certainly is a "problem-solving" way to keep the species in your aquarium.
I read somewhere you could get the chocolate chip star and keep it in the freezer, then break off a leg to feed every week or what ever...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts