Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
not something for a beginner. they need to be fed starfish and frequently, feeding them can get expensive and most people dont realize that till after they get them. i know some people buy chocolate chip stars and either throw them in or freeze them and crack off peices when needed, others use asterinas and others. but they dont harm corals if thats what your wondering.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not something for a beginner. they need to be fed starfish and frequently, feeding them can get expensive and most people dont realize that till after they get them. i know some people buy chocolate chip stars and either throw them in or freeze them and crack off peices when needed, others use asterinas and others. but they dont harm corals if thats what your wondering.
well I'v been doing some research on them and I know they only eat starfish IF(this is only an idea) I did go for them should I buy a pair or single

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yes they will strictly only eat starfish.And they do better in pairs.Single ones seem to die way more easily.I am getting ready to put a pair in my biocube.You really need to find a place to get starfish and have them available all the time.2 of them will eat a 3 to 4 inch starfish in 3 to 4 weeks.This is a rough estimate.Depends on the exact size of the starfish and the shrimp.If you get babys they need to be feed linka starfish and as adults they will takes others as food like chocolate chips, astrenias and sand sifters.

·
Registered
532 Posts
They are awesome! I had two in my 7 gallon for about 8 months. If you do want a pair, I would buy them as a pair! I read that they like to be paired up, so if you get a male and a female they are easy to get to pair. WRONG! They fought for two months before they finally paired up. Unfortunately mine both died within two days of each other. :( I think I got a tainted starfish. And keep in mind they do cost a lot to feed. I was able to get mine to take frozen starfish eventually so I would just cut them up and put them in the freezer, but at first they would only eat live starfish so I had to set up a 10 gallon tank that I kept Chocolate Chip stars in. When I would buy Asterina stars, I would just throw them in the 7 gallon. It was amazing how fast they could go through 50 Asterinas though.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
feeding isn't costly IMO. what i did was had 3-4 stars in my sump and would cut an arm when they needed to be fed. the arms regenerate, so you always have food for them. i would do a pair. just be sure to use a different starfish each week so they have time to heal and don't die on you.

·
Registered
937 Posts
feeding isn't costly IMO. what i did was had 3-4 stars in my sump and would cut an arm when they needed to be fed. the arms regenerate, so you always have food for them. i would do a pair. just be sure to use a different starfish each week so they have time to heal and don't die on you.
Nice! good thinking. I like them 2 but they sound like a lot of work. They are defiantly cool to look at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts