Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i had read on here somewhere about Harvey's two part epoxy so i went to homedepot and got a tube, I kneeded it together and put it on the rock, put it back in the tank and pushed the rocks together, it wasnt even remotely tacky. How do you guys use this stuff?

thanks,
mike

·
Registered
825 Posts
Did you get the welding putty dark gray (lite gray inside) that you have to mix together or the stuff that looks tan that is like playdoh, or the liquid two part solution? You need the kind you mix kneed together (sounds like you got the right one). After kneeding it let it sit for say 40 seconds then quickly apply it and let it air dry for a few more seconds if you can then it should be ready for the tank. I used it once and put it into salt water right away and it all flaked apart and was everywhere. So the key is you want it felxable but not so much so that it breaks apart easy. I did all my rocks this way and the only thing I wish I would have done different is add sand to the outside of the putty so you would not notice it.

Heres a pic

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am debating between drilling my Live Rock and gluing it using epoxy. It was recommend to me that I use "aquamend" brand epoxy. I know nothing about this particular product. I just thought it might be another brand to considered since another person on here recommended it.... Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have used both and the Aquamend holds better and does not mess with the skimmer. I had problems with the Harvey's hardening. It does not "flake" like the Harvey's can. Try it you'll like it.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Yep, really gets them skimming. It will be OK in a day or two. Mean while turn that baby down or block the air input or it will empty your tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts