Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my LFS and I heard that the Aqualight Pro and the Odysea HQI system is the same product, made in the same warehouse; just with a different name. I did some research and it puts out the same wattage as the Aqualight Pro, it even has the same look. So my question would be does anyone have one or know of anyone who does?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
From my experience with lighting you should think about setting up your own rig. It isn't hard to wire together the lights and you can make a solid system. The odysea ones work, although they are very low quality and im sure the reflectors are not very efficeint. I would poke around for info on building your own setup or getting a retro fit kit. Check out the ones at diyreef.com

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've heard of multiple homes being burnt to the ground due to an internal short in the ballasts on some of the Oddysea systems. Its seems to be with the NON electronic ballasts but I still dont know if I'd trust them. Deb at DIYreef is where I got my ballast and some others, very nice stuff at a great price. If you want a nice 24" setup i do have a Current USA Outer Orbit thats 1 month old for sale :) Just no need, good luck! :)

G

·
one thing that has annoys me of the odyssey brand is the amount of wrong information there is about them. they did have problems with some of the earlier units causing smoke but there has never been to my knowledge on time that a whole house has burnt down from them. A lot of people have said that they are crap systems and yet never seen one or actually tried one of them.

I had their 260w 48in power compact setup and was impressed. Yes the bulbs are cheap but when i took mine apart it was compared to one made by coralife and the ballast were all the same. The odds are that the odyssey and coralife units are all made in the same plant and just relabeled as such. most people think that price dictates quality and most of the time that is true but not always. It would be very easy to get the unit and just replace the bulbs, you save some money and still have a really nice unit.

The bottom line is that no matter what brand you have there is always a chance of problems being caused. Just cause it says IceCap doesn't mean that there wont be problems with it.

I say research exactly what you want and go with that, there is a long thread on ReefCentral and there are many people that are happy with their purchase.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^ Well said toobrie. Wow multiple homes burned down? C'mon where's the evidence of this? I have a oddysea MH unit and so far it's been pretty efficient. The reflectors of the Coralife looks the same as these.(DE bulbs) They do come with cheap bulbs but just put new bulbs in and you're set to go. You'll save a lot of dough compared to popular brand names. My future set-up would be a DIY one though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
ok i confess

I have a 544 what oddysea. It has two 175w MH, 2 96w pc actinics, and 6 lunar lights. The fans were replaced in the ballast. I have had it for about a year. I bought it off another MIreefer. I have not had any problems with it other than u can't fin double ended 175MH bulbs. Other than that no smoke or fires.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^ Hey lionhead you can use 150w bulbs. I'm currently running 3 150w Phoenix 14k bulbs on mine. I asked the question if it was ok to run 150w bulbs in the oddysea thread at ReefCentral and was confirmed ok.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I wouldn't say that they don't work, becasue they do, but from the ones I have seen the quality has been fairly poor. If you dont want to build your own system and just want something that works ok there's nothing wrong with these lights. However if want to do it right from the beginning I would build your own system with good reflectors, ballasts etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks for all the info, but I think I'm just gonna do it right the first time, I'm just not a big fan of the retro kits, and have to work around a lid, or even deal with the mogul bulbs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have an Odyssea 72" MH that I bought about 2 years ago and have a lot of problems with it. Granted some were my own fault (water overflowed onto the ballast unit. One of the main concerns I have with it is they seem to use cheap wiring and ther is NO customer support. When I had to re-wire it it took me a week and a half with the help of Aaron (tankzombie) until late in the morning one night. I ended up having to replace both ballasts for the 65w blue atinics because they fried. That is the second time I had to repair it. The first was when one of the ignitors were on top of the wiring connections. If you get one or any and they have a seperate ballast from the light open it up and make sure everything is where it is supposed to be and nothing lose.
I need to replace the bulbs and am having a very difficult time finding them. 175W MH double ended 10ks.
Oh, also, one of the switches have burned out and need replaced as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch! Actually its the same light as the aqualight pro and u can check liveaquaria.co or aquatraders.com for replacement bulbs.

I guess I should of started the thread with what I plan on doing. I just moved from detroit, to portland oregon. I own a 29gal oceanic bio-cube, but all my corals are growing like mad :D. So while at my LFS, the owner order the wrong tank and had a brand new 125gal with dual overfolws, for 500. So I thought what a steal. So now I'm jumping from a 29 to a 125 and I always want MH, but wasnt into retro kits and the fancy old fashion stands and wanted that edgey look of the aqualight pro HQI. So thats where I am, I got the tank, now just need the rest, stand, lighting, skimmer, refugium, etc.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
There is NO SUCH THING as a 175w DE bulb. False advertising and a bold faced lie.
I cant believe they are still getting away with calling them that! Of course the more people that buy their replacement bulbs because they cant find them anywhere else the better eh? :rolleyes:
They are 150w bulbs, and any 150w DE bulb will work in their fixtures.

The bottom line is that no matter what brand you have there is always a chance of problems being caused. Just cause it says IceCap doesn't mean that there wont be problems with it.
The big difference is, as Cowboymark discovered, when you do have problems with an Odyssea product you will get no service period. You will get immediate, excellent service with IceCap and several other better brands. So it really depends on if you want a throw-away fixture, or something that the company will stand behind and fix if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Deb correct me If Im wrong but you are also buying something made in the united states not china too with icecap ballasts!;)

I had a 6 foot odyssey running in the store and I didnt have much problems with the fixture except one of the bulbs burnt out in 2 weeks. Also the actnics in my fixture were 1 130 bulb and I could not get the bulb to replace it without a big hassle. I love the Tek light Units Debs sells them its what we use No problems No noise. I have Acro's growing under a 4 bulb unit and Also a green monti. Good luck with your decision.

brad

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
Thier older model ballasts were made in Korea, and/or China, but I dont know where the new ones are coming from-no labels on any I have in stock right now. Most ballasts are coming from China now, the difference between them is the specs they are held to buy the companies like IceCap that they are manufacturing them for.
Low specs=low quality=cheaper

·
Registered
316 Posts
DlBerlin said:
There is NO SUCH THING as a 175w DE bulb. False advertising and a bold faced lie.
I cant believe they are still getting away with calling them that! Of course the more people that buy their replacement bulbs because they cant find them anywhere else the better eh? :rolleyes:
They are 150w bulbs, and any 150w DE bulb will work in their fixtures.
SO, if it is false advertising why are my ballasts 175W? Also, what is the difference in wattages, 150, 250, etc?

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
Some 175w ballasts will run 150w DE bulbs.
But there is no such thing as a 175w DE bulb, only Se bulbs

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am using this system I brought off of ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130165581897

It is made in China. I don't know if the whole system is made by odyssea but it does use odyssea bulbs. It also has 3 seperate ballasts for each of the 250 de hqi bulbs. It has been working good so far. I guess it is like the coralife one but is much cheaper so i am guessing the quality isn't as good. I hope these bulbs or ballasts don't start any fires though as I have read in this thread.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts