Michigan Reefers banner
2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Taylor_made 
G
#1 ·
Just looking for some opinions on the red hawk fisk. I have considered getting one for my bc29. I have 1 small clown 1 jaw 1 shrimp goby 1 cleaner shrimp 2 peperment shrimp 1turbo snal & 1 konk. I'v herd they can be kinda mean just wondering if this could be a good choice for my tank? :confused:

#2 ·
I have two hawks

1 flame one other no issues no problems except one of my hawks likes to be the 1st to rest on any new coral I add he will sit right next to where I place it and my hand isn't even out of the tank before he is sitting on it..

#6 ·
not nessaseraly true

marinemommy said:
They eat shrimp, though. Your peppermints will be a tasty treat for him.
I have had all kind of ornament shrimp neither my flame nor my blood red or banded hawk has bothered any shrimp the banded is close to 5" he's the one that fallows me. of course shrimp are for sure a gamble but then again I guess I am a gambler I have hawks,triggers and wrasse and everybody plays nice with shrimp. :D

#8 ·
labman said:
I have had all kind of ornament shrimp neither my flame nor my blood red or banded hawk has bothered any shrimp the banded is close to 5" he's the one that fallows me. of course shrimp are for sure a gamble but then again I guess I am a gambler I have hawks,triggers and wrasse and everybody plays nice with shrimp. :D
I think it might depend on what size tank you have....??

#9 ·
also depends on the fish

marinemommy said:
I think it might depend on what size tank you have....??
as I have said many many times (fish don't read) so individual fish very in personality and habits I have seen very aggressive so called docile fish and vice versa. best we can hope is a educated guess or risk based on books a hawk is a risk based on my experience I say worth a try.

#10 ·
we have an arc-eye and have had NO bullying problems from him. He does exactly what he should.. perches and looks around, LOL.
He never attempted anything on our crabs or snails.. he actually didn't even go after live brine shrimp when we gave them that tasty treat.. he loves formula 2 flakes though! LOL

#11 ·
Lou Lou said:
JI have 1 small clown 1 jaw 1 shrimp goby 1 cleaner shrimp 2 peperment shrimp 1turbo snal & 1 konk. I'v herd they can be kinda mean just wondering if this could be a good choice for my tank? :confused:
Those peppermint shrimp will be eaten in short order 9 out of 10 times. They are shrimp eaters, so... IMHO it's not even a "gamble" -it's pretty much a sure thing you'll lose the smaller shrimp.

The cleaner less likely - especially since it's in there first. Smaller fish are potential menu items too.

Otherwise, great personable fish that make good pets - I have a pair of Longnose Hawks and can't imagine a tank without them, but... I can keep nothing in the shrimp family except a huge coral banded...:rolleyes:

#12 ·
labman said:
a hawk is a risk based on my experience I say worth a try.
I disagree - these fish EAT SHRIMP for a living... that's not unlike "hoping" your carnivores will help with algae control. Sure, you could get lucky (you obviously have...), but that's not even an "educated risk" - it's a near sure thing that small ornamental shrimp will be consumed...

Dave - You *really* keep small, ornamental shrimp (sexy, peppermints, camels, pederson's, etc.) with triggers and hawks and have NO problem?

In all my time only the BIG coral bandeds and cleaners (who are in there *FIRST*) are remotely safe (and even then it's a pretty big risk).

Can't imagine a hawk or trigger NOT trying to eat a Peppermint:confused:

#13 ·
scooby doo said:
I disagree - these fish EAT SHRIMP for a living... that's not unlike "hoping" your carnivores will help with algae control. Sure, you could get lucky (you obviously have...), but that's not even an "educated risk" - it's a near sure thing that small ornamental shrimp will be consumed...

Dave - You *really* keep small, ornamental shrimp (sexy, peppermints, camels, pederson's, etc.) with triggers and hawks and have NO problem?

In all my time only the BIG coral bandeds and cleaners (who are in there *FIRST*) are remotely safe (and even then it's a pretty big risk).

Depends on the hawk. I got a falco and he doesnt even fuss with the shrimp. he even lets the cleaner clean him lol.

for the record i got about 8 peppermints and one cleaner, shrimp wise.

#14 ·
Falcos are smallish, but still eat shrimp... You're shrimp are likely on borrowed time. Even if you have the fish for years without the problem, it's still an EXCECPTION, hardly a rule or good idea (assuming you care about the shrimp...).

Just a risk. Peppermint shrimp aren't *that* expensive, and make great feeder food anyhow. :D

Besides, this thread is about "Red" (which I presume to be Flame) Hawkfish and much bigger/more aggressive than a Falco.

#15 ·
I have had my Red Flame Hawk fish for quite a while. He has been a model citizen. I have 2 cleaners (expensive, so if my Hawk does eat them, I will be bummed) and 1 blood red shrimp. I agree any shrimp is in danger with a hawk fish. I feed a lot 6-7's a day, so in my case the hawk never gets hungry enough to have to work for it's food. Would I have a hawk, if I didn't feed a lot, nope. I had a friend that had one and it terrorized his tank. The fish in my tank all have their place and because they never have to work for food (expect my mandarin and scooter blenny) they don't get pissy. If you are even on the fence, then don't do it, there are plenty of other cool fish, although I do like my hawk.

Dan

#16 ·
tIM

scooby doo said:

Well 1st we are talking a $5-$6 shrimp I tried a $30 fire I had a couple peppermints as hitchhikers I would never buy them since they are known to cause problems with corals why I eventually got my peppermints out I would honestly trust my hawks to a degree any way my Wrasse is my bad boy haven't been able to add another wrasse since I added him but hawks a certainly a risk with shrimp. oh my trigger sleeps with the cleaner gets a nightly cleaning before bed maybe he told the hawks to stay away from his buddy

#17 ·
hawks

Like it was stated earlier each fish has its own personality. When i worked in a petstore the flame hawks were great. We could put almost anything in with them. My hawk was suppose to be a falco but i think that it is a blotted hawk due to darker red marking. The hawk i have is a pain in the butt. It was fine in my fish only tank. Now that it is in my reef it has killed all my peppermint shrimp and chases my other fish constantly. The chasing i think is due to the fact that most of the fish are smaller than him. So the moral of my story is each fish has different habbits. I tell you what if you want to try a hawk real bad and dont mind what kind then come and get mine.

#18 ·
Good luck catching it ^^^^ That is a very good reason for you to think long and hard, whether it is worth it. Catching a Hawk in a reef tank, can be a very hard ordeal. Hawks fish have a lot of automatic predator responses built in, so if yours turns south, it can cause a big head ache in removing it.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.