Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the chances two 500 watt heaters fail in the same day. It happend. Thank god for my apex blowing up my phone with emails and textmessages. It is the best purchase I have made. I would have been sleeping and woke to a tank in bad shape.

I am disappointed that the finnex 500 watt less than 3 months failed already. The other was a 500 watt oddaseay.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
That ***** big time! Did you have any spare heaters or did you have to go buy new ones. I recently purchased the Finnex Digatal Controled 300w for my tank. I hope that last more than 3 months!

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That ***** big time! Did you have any spare heaters or did you have to go buy new ones. I recently purchased the Finnex Digatal Controled 300w for my tank. I hope that last more than 3 months!
Yes the two that failed were on the 125 but I moved over the 2nd one on the 180. I am in IT so I am always thinking redundency.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found out my finnex 500 will not get my tank warmer than 77 (the dial is turned all that way up and it clicks on and off at 77. I am going to be switching to the heat source using the hot water tank.
I found the temp setting is messed up on them. I have to set to 86 to get it 79. I let the apex control the real temp though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I will have to keep a close eye on mine. As it is the sole heater in my 90. I bought it to replace two others I had in my sump. They still work jsut didn't want two but, I'm thinking I should put one back in for back up. No controller yet, on the list.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi, I have had Finnex for 3 years, I had two a 300 watt and 500 watt elements plugged into my controller, both went out three months after I bought them with in a week. I talked to Finnex rep and he explained it was a bad batch from China, he sent me two replacements. )slightly different ends for better sealing). I have used the 300 watt replacement for over 2 1/2 years with zero problem, but a couple of months ago with winter coming I put the replacement 500 watt one in, it lasted two weeks.

I will continue using only the 300 watt element and no 500 watt elements ever again.
Does someone know of another manufacturer that makes elements that you can plug into controllers?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Aquarium heaters eventually malfunction,i have mine on my reefkeeper and it stays steady,
I also use a finnex Titanium Heater 300w i bought back in the day from diy reef and never had any problems.Glad to hear that your apex was doing its job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lost my titanium 800watt about 4 weeks ago (11 months old). Didnt realize it till temp hit 72ish... lost a couple corals... Got on the next BRS group buy and got a ReefKeeper net, now when my replacement one takes a dump at least I will be notified!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Lost my titanium 800watt about 4 weeks ago (11 months old). Didnt realize it till temp hit 72ish... lost a couple corals... Got on the next BRS group buy and got a ReefKeeper net, now when my replacement one takes a dump at least I will be notified!
if you dont mind me asking what did you get the RK net for?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I meant price...lol sorry i should have been more detailed/
No discounts on controllers during group buys, I was hopeful just like you but disappointed in the end. haha I spent around 800 dollars and got like 8 dollars off, but most of what I bought did not get any group buy discounts.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well I just ordered a new Watts Premier Instant Hot Water Recirculating pump off eBay for a good price, So now I just have to get my plumbing and I will be able to get my new heat source up and running. AND THEN LET THE ENERGY SAVINGS BEGIN!!!!

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finnex

FYI

I contacted aquarium speciality where I bought the Finnex at the end of Nov and the owner is so disappointed he is considering dropping the heater from his site. He said he has high failures on the 500 and the 800.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hey Tom, man your on a real roll lately... what did a black cat walk in front of you or you been walking under ladders or something

1 - 20 of 21 Posts