Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now im on my fourth heater, I have tried 2 stealth heaters 1 fluval and now just purchased another heater with controller connected and temp probe with supposed auto shutoff every1 of these heaters have done the same thing I set the temp at 75 and they heat to 79 or higher ..... my tank is a 72 g all the above heaters were 200w ...... my last 2 setups I had a stealth heater in them when I set it at 75 it heated to 75 what is the deal and also I didnt have a light setup yet during the trial of all these heaters can all these products just be garbage is that even possible?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Heaters are a pita in this hobby. Most are junk. There are a few options you could try to limit the chances of disaster.

You could get a heater controller, Ranco...etc which should be more reliable than your heaters thermostat.

If you've got an Apex or similar controller, you can plug your heater into that and have it controll your heater, you set the heater temp control at 75 and the Apex at 77. If the heater sticks on or the thermostat goes bad, the controller will shut it off when the temp reaches 77.

Or you could get 2 or 3 smaller heaters, that way if one fails, the other heaters will either keep the temp from falling too low or too high.

I haven't tried one yet but Cobalt has a newer heater out that is supposed to be decent. Maybe some others have used it and will chime in.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Stealth Heater Recall

There's a recall on Stealth Heaters. You might want to look into it. Could be part of your problem from the beginning.

I agree, 2 smaller heaters are better than one. How many watts are the heaters you run now?

My heaters seem to over shoot their temp target. I noticed it in 5ga buckets culturing copepods or rotifers. Their little temp gauge is notoriously wrong. Not sure what scale they use, but it doesn't seem to be fahrenheit.

With a smaller tank, your return pump and skimmer pump could also be contributing to heat gain. Something to think about.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I agree on the controller. If you've got a reefkeeper, apex, whatever, just use the temp probe on that to control the temperature in your tank. Make your set point 75 or whatever your preference is and then set the hysteresis to 0.1 deg and you'll have a very stable tank temperature. Of course, you'll want to actually turn your heater to something above 75 to make sure it doesn't shut off prematurely.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow , so I shut off my heater now because I have hooked up my 250w halide with 4 t5 actnics my temp gets to roughly 82.6 when its on but when light goes off drops to about 78 and so goe s the cycle I have just ordered some additional cooling fans for my canopy the fixture has its own..... is that temp fluctuation bad for fish and corals ?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Some temperature fluctuation is okay, say, +/-3 degrees throughout the day. There is naturally a bit more of a swing on a natural reef, but you'll see that some species of marine life are more sensitive than others to these temp changes. Some people will argue that 0 fluctuation is ideal, which is true as it would obviously cause the least amount of stress to the greatest amount of life in the tank. So aim for a constant temp and you'll be okay, but not as hot as 83. That's heated pool temperatures, lol. I don't use a controller, but I do use dual Catalina Titanium 500w heaters. They have a temp control module that plugs directly into the wall, keeping it far from water contact and salt creep. It is also accurate to +/- 1 degree as I've tested them so far. I also had a 300w one in my quarantine tank. The tank broke and ran bone dry for 24 hours. The heater has a built in feature that shuts it off upon contact to the air. Heater still works. :) So far they have been up and running for 6 months, so I can't really speak to longevity, yet.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Apex or ReefKeeper controllers have made staying within +/- .4 degrees simple for me. The Apex actually is the better of the two from my experiences.

Even if you buy one of the Juniors or basic models, you plug(well, I do) a finnex or another element into the outlet (I don't trust heater controls anymore), set it for the temp range to go on and off, you can set a maximum time on, a delay, a logic based on another outlet, etc and you go(you do the same for a chiller and you have all seasons covered).

Heating and cooling really, really becomes the last thing you have to worry about. I have been using this finnex for a year and a half steady with no issues, no variations, and of course no stick ons. It really becomes a thing of "what is the best temp for my animals".

I highly recommend the controller/element route.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess ill have to start looking into a chiller if these fans I ordered dont work because im not even running a heater anymore and my water temp made it to 83.6 today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts