Michigan Reefers banner
2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  New Reefer 
#1 ·
I have a 65 g (36 x 18 x 24) that I purchased 8 months ago. I saved the 4 year old water and LR. Current tank occupants include 8 acros, 2 slimers, 1 monti, 1 birdsnest, about 12 snails, and 1 peppermint shrimp. I run Maristar with 2 250 MH with T5 supp. and 4 K4 on this tank. My sandbed started as 3/4", but now ranges from 1/2-1".

Husband wants a fish, which was not in my original plan. I have looked and found basically 3 fish that are not going to get bigger than 3-4" (at least I think).

The LFS has two beautiful helfrichi firefish in a 40g that I was thinking of buying. They quarrantine for 2 weeks and I've been visiting for about 4 weeks. I have a good amphipod base and the LFS sells copepods, if needed. I read they don't coexist well, so I'm not sure I have a big enough tank. Not sure if I have large enough sand bed. I could also have too much light for "shy" fish or could have too much flow for small fish.

Chromis - I was thinking of 3-5, but read they were in the damsel category and don't want a damsel, I don't think.

Final choice is cardinals, which I could do 3-5 I think. Just wondering if too much flow for them, they always seem to look so delicate.

Any guidance on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got a normal firefish in my tank, and he doesn't really seem to use the sand at all. He will occasionaly live in a hole when my jawfish moves out and makes a new one though. I've also read that if you put both firefish in at the same time they're far less likely to fight eachother. And I have always wanted a helfrichi so I vote Helfrichi :D

#5 ·
I read about the jumping-- seems to be a problem with small fish, so I'm looking into lid.

Anyone have two firefish together? Is 65g enough or is the tank too small? I read that the infighting is more of a problem when they are older, so I guess my continual viewings at the LFS really isn't going to answer that and I'm loathe to buy something that I will have to catch and find a home for in a year.

I'd also be interested in any agression toward the keeper. I won't be happy with something that tries to bite me.

I will introduce together, regardless of choice as that appears to be the way its supposed to be done.

#7 ·
I have had a couple of firefish and they are extremely shy. I am not sure if you would see them much if they were the only fish in the tank. Mine seemed to be more bold with some active fish in the tank (clowns, chromis) to draw them out. They were always the last fish out in the morning and the first one to hide for the night. They are beautiful fish, I just would hate for you to only have two fish in the tank that you do not see.

Chromis are of the damsel family, but do not get nearly as aggressive as some of the other damsels. I really like the chromis that I have had in my 75 gallon. Some people have had trouble with chromis slowly killing each other off in a small group until there is only one left. This has not been my experience with them (I have had two together for almost 4 years had three together all of that time until one jumped out the the tank over the winter) but just figured I would pass along the warning.

Whatever you decide to do good luck. I cannot imagine having an aquarium with no fish in it. The extra movement will be enjoyable I am sure.

#10 ·
+1 Firefish, you'll see it during feeding time and then it goes back into it's hole. If you get Cardinals I enjoyed the Bangaii's much more than PJ's, my vote goes for the Chromis, you will want an odd number of Chromis as i'm sure 1 or more will end up missing! seperating the weaker males from the pack

#11 ·
I have a BIG tendency to over analyze and worry about the tank. I've recently had to resolve to stop trying to catalog all the bugs in the tank as I was driving people nuts!

In looking at getting a fish or a couple, my thought was I would have the best luck if I would get the same fish, i.e. 2 of this fish or 3 of that fish. It cuts down on my obsessing ( I hope) and makes the learning curve not as high. All I did was try and narrow it down to 2-3 types of reef safe fish that would not get too agressive for me and not too big for the tank. These were the three types of fish I saw as possibilities. Then, I tried to figure out how many I could have. I thought I could have 1 or 2 firefish or 1-5 cardinals or 1-5 chromis. I was really trying to get confirmation of this research, possibly a different idea, and probably a more important - dear god no, if I was about to do something wrong.

#13 ·
PJ cardinals

I have 3 PJ cardinals in a 75, and they pretty much stay near the top in one area of the tank. Cool little guys, but not the most active - they definitely don't hide during the day.

One regular firefish - hid for most of the first week, now he is usually out, and doesn't much mind the two tangs in the tank, even though they are bigger and more active.

None of them have been at all aggressive with me (the clowns I had in my last tank were menaces).

PS - what about a mandarin? My favorite fish.

#14 ·
Well, I guess I took too long. Went to get the firefish this weekend and now, there is only one in two different tanks. Either someone bought one or they had some problems. There are no cardinals or chromis around this area at a fish store that I will actually buy something from so no fish for now. I will have to take a look at the recommended stores in MI and make a day trip. Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.