Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a fish only saltwater tank a few years back, this time around im wanting to try some corals.so i started fresh with a 40 breeder. i have about a 3" sand bed in my tank and sump (about 100 lbs) and 83 lbs of live rock. hob protein skimmer, 9 watt uv steralizer, 300 gallon per hour rio pump 29 gallon sump, 234 something like that ho t5's 6x30 something. blah blah blah. its been up and running for about 1.5 months. i have my lights on a 10 hour timer, 3 1200k and 3 antic blue. ive already went through my first algae bloom. i have a coral beauty, cleaner shrimp, red crusted starfish some snails and a few hermits. just tested my water and this is what i got.
temp-81
specific gravity- 1.027
calcium- 640ppm
hardness- (kh) 196.9
phosphate-0.5
nitrates-5.0

i just got this test kit. ive took my water up to fish doctors before i got the kit. not sure what some of these are suposed to be at. please let me know if i need to do something, or if something is too high. im wanting to grow some nice coraline algae soon. after about another month or so i think my tank should be done cycling. then i want to get some corals.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Is there any room for your fish with all that sand and rock :) Your calcium needs lowered, you are primed for a precipitation event and all kinds of wierd things can happen to your PH if that happens. Are you dosing anything now? What salt mix are your using? Specific Gravity could be lowered a point or two also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Instant ocean reef salt. Not dossing anything. So I should do a water change? Thought I was not suppose to do that until it fully cycles?. my sg was at 1.025 then I added more sand and rock. Might have something to do with it?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Welcome to MR.
If would hope your tank has already cycled since you have a fish in there. Being you have a Coral Beauty, there may be a limmited type and number of fish you can add in the coming months. An angel should be one of the last fish to be added to a tank. You add fish accourding to there aggression level and requirements. I wouldn't add another fish for at least a few weeks. But, on to the water and LR. I would switch to Instant Oceans Reef Cystals. I use Seachem Salinity Aqua Vitro line.

I would keep your paramiters around the following levels. Only use LFS as a last resort or to confirm your water Params.
Salinity 1.024-1.026
Alkalinity 8-12 dkh
PH 8.0-8.4
Cal 400-450ppm
Phosphates 0 (especially if you want corals)
Nitrates 0 (or as close to is as possible.
After a cycle these two should never be present!
Ammonia 0 ALWAYS
Nitrite 0 ALWAYS

A few questions now to give all of us a better understanding of your setup.
How long has the Coral Beauty been in the tank?
How long has the Live Rock (LR) been in the tank?
What test kits did you purchase?
What type of skimmer are you running?
Are you running a sump or do you plan to?
Do you have a Quarantine (QT) setup?

Onto the lighting. I would swap out all or at least two of the Actinic bulbs for some ATI Blue+, Purple+, Aquablue Special. Or whatever brandand type of bulb you choose. Only recommending this cause if you want to keep corals, the actinic bulbs don't provide what they need. They are mostly just for looks.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
3" of sand bed is a lot... Welcome to the crazy side of things... :no:
I have or had when it was level and before my Watchman stirred things up, a 4" sand bed. So, now its more is some areas and less in others. But, I also have a 24" height.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe its kent test kit. The coral bueaty has been in for a couple days. I had 17 lbs of rock for about a month and just added the rest about a week ago. The guys at the lfs told me that my tank was cyled to add fish. I did not have a test kit so I toke my water sample to them weekly. This time they said my water was good enough for fish.not sure of the brand on the skimmer but it works good. No q tank aint got the room. Yes I have a sump29 gallon.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I believe its kent test kit. The coral bueaty has been in for a couple days. I had 17 lbs of rock for about a month and just added the rest about a week ago. The guys at the lfs told me that my tank was cyled to add fish. I did not have a test kit so I toke my water sample to them weekly. This time they said my water was good enough for fish.not sure of the brand on the skimmer but it works good. No q tank aint got the room. Yes I have a sump29 gallon.
What LFS did you go to? IMO, but they are feeding you a bunch of crap! Adding that much rock in that size of a tank is most likely going to cause your tank to cycle again. Unless, it is mature established LR. Most of what is in LFS is not! It all depends on how they keep it stored. Keep a close eye on your water params and I would recommend doing a 15% water change. I have never used the Kent test kits, not sure how they are.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bought the live rock off craigslist. it is great fully cured purple , blue, red covered. he had it in a tank but the extra live sand was in a bucket. not sure for how long tho. did a 20% water change today everythings down except my calcium. still very high or im not doing the test right. well i guess im gonna just wait this out, keep up the water changes. oh and the test kit is an ap marine test kit not kent sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts