Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this white film. on my coral i think is (ICH) i'm not sure how to prevent i from spreading? and how it formed in the tank to begin with...

its been well established for 5 months.. that was the last time i put any coral into the tank that i would question...

the tank has been bug free since day one and its a 3 and a half year onld tank..

so how did i contract ich..?
how can i prevent ich?
and finally how do I kill it...

i have sone recorces i just dont know what to do...

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Ich does not attach to corals. We would need a pic and exact water parameters to offer any pointers in the right direction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
parameter

8.4 ph
1.026 sal.
750 to 800 calcium
0 phos
low nitrates
and low nitrites

so im not shure what it is

i grew a clear film across the branches quickly an inch or better overnight.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Your calcium is really high, which makes me guess your alk is swinging wildly in the breeze. The white film - you sure it's not exposed skeleton where the actual flesh has dropped off?

Another guess is a bacterial bloom of some kind. Add anything recently? Dose anything recently? or differently?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only thing i have added is water and calcium...
the extra cal. is due to having clams and chalce coral it gets used up really quick..
thats it.
i dont dose anything odd..

but u think it could be alk..

im going to change the water again today just to help lower the nitrates and nitrites...
hopefully that will add some buffer to the alk.

what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Nitrites are bad - you probably have ammoni but I didn't see test results for that. Ammonia is very toxic - could be causing the problems. Also, as mentoned your calcium as high which brings your alk down, and birdnests usually are sensitive to alk swings. With a chalice and a birdnest, you shouldn't be dosing calcium that high - regular water changes should keep it in acceptable limits. Your calcium is nearly douible the normal range. If you keep your calcium around 380-450, your corals will get plenty. Only dose as needed. I have an entire tank of sps and my calcium isn't that high.

Do you have a pic? That would help a lot more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts