·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres my system:

26g bow front display with 30ish lbs live rock and 2" sand bed
90g sump with Reef Octopus NW200 skimmer + another 20ish lbs live rock
250w HQI (mystery bulb ill get to)
everything has been set up for about 3 months but i got everything from the same system that was up and running for years.
for flow my return is a mag 18 (8' head) split with an ocean motion squirt for wave motions.

heres my levels as of tonight:
nitrate: 10-15ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
ammonia: .5ppm (lost a banghii cardinal today :(
PH: 7.8
Salinity: 1.026

ok so first i had some hair algae which is still growing all over the rock and now theres air bubbles all over i assume from the algae exchanging gasses. and i also have cynobacteria starting up. the bulb in my system is about a year old and i plan on replacing it in the next week or so because i know thats really not helping me with this nuisance algae. i also plan on getting some caulerpa (sp?) for my sump and running a 24hr light to help with the nitrates.

any other tips on getting rid of this stuff? maybe adding a powerhead? or an additive i should look into? I'm not sure why i lost the fish, i found it alive in my sump a few days ago, maybe the clowns were harassing it.

any help is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
food!

what is your bio load like?
how often/much are you feeding the tank?
-food
-supplements

have you thought about a bio pellet or gfo carbon reactor

but first figuring out what is creating the issue prob a good idea

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is your bio load like?
how often/much are you feeding the tank?
-food
-supplements

have you thought about a bio pellet or gfo carbon reactor

but first figuring out what is creating the issue prob a good idea
i know I'm over feeding so I'm cutting that back too. i have 2 clowns a banghii card, green mandarin, yasha hase goby. I'm not really dosing anything, i did just start adding liquid reef 2 days ago but my problems started before that.

I'm looking into adding a GFO and a carbon reactors when money allows

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
maybe try adding flow to affected areas, also try adding a competing bacteria maybe? i use microbacter 7 i have seen a very significant decrease in my cyano problems although i have also upgraded to biopellets carbon and gfo reactors so these would also contribute. i still think the competing bacteria is and cheap easy way to start choking it out though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts