Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!!!! Emperor Angelfish very sick with severe ICH
I just purchased a beautiful in transition changing Emperor Anglefish and the poor fish came down with ICH after a week of introducing to my tank. The place where I purchased it is very questionable
So what I did:
Install an Aqua Medic 9 watt the documentation says it is rated for 125- 250 Gallon tank on my tank it is a 125 with 55Gallon Sump.
Set up a quarantine tank with an 18 Rubbermaid tub with a sponge air filter and 402 powered. I dosed the tank with Vitamins and Mendel Coppersafe 4 tsp. After about 8 hours in the quarantine tank all of the parasites seem to dissipate and the Angelfish is eating. My understanding is that the UV will remove the free floating ICH. All of the other fish in the tank are ok but they are damsels, clowns and a wrasse. I didn’t want to leave it exposed to copper for too long as I know Angels are sensitive to copper so I put him back in the display tank last night say 11PM and set my alarm for 3AM to check on him and he was worse than ever coated with ICH and breathing hard. I netted him out and he didn’t even put up a struggle and put him back in the QT tank with this copper. 6AM this morning all of the parasites were gone and he looked fine staring at me.

So I am sitting here at work going crazy trying to determine my next steps. I am also worried that the copper may get to him and damage internal organs. So I thought that I would do a 50% water change when I get home with RO water. How long should I keep him in the QT tub? Any advice is appreciated I am determined to save the beautiful fish.
Manny Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,479 Posts
There are going to be Ich parasites in your DT. Without a doubt. Positive. The UV sterilizer kills whatever passes over it most of the time. So you would have to have every single ich parasite pass over the uv bulb and the uv bulb would have to be 100% efficient. Not gonna happen. So heres my recommendations:

Ideal: Put all fish in the QT tank and leave the DT fallow for the entire lifecycle of the ich parasite. I think its like 6 weeks. Id go 8 just in case. Once the ich parasites are dead in the QT you can do water changes and get rid of the copper and with careful monitoring and frequent water changes they will be ok.

Less than ideal: Leave the angel in QT until it is completely healthy and eating like a champ. Several weeks, if not months. Again you can lower the copper content with water changes. Once it is superangel, then put it in the tank and hope its immune system is good and strong.

Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Not to mention the is a 72 hour period where you can not see it on the fish but it is there. Put him back into the copper and leave him there for 10 days, 21 if you want to be safe. The stress of moving him to the Q tank and then back to the display probably did not help. If he is gasping it's probably too late and probably was, so don't feel to bad. Alsdo, don't forget to check the copper level every 12 hous for the first 72 hours and then every 24 after that. It is very unstable and must be kept at the proper levels. It will typically drop out of the effective range within 12 hours of dosing it until the water becomes saturated.

I would also bet he has Odinium not really Ich. If that is the case he was probably dead before you put him in your tank. Odinium kills in 24 to 72 hours and most often mistaken as Ich. It takes a trained eye to be able to tell the difference. True ich takes it's time to overwhelm a fish. Not to say it wasn't and he came to you with a bad case, just my opinion and experience.

Now lets talk about your current display. How many and what kind of fish and corals do you have in your display? Keep the UV running for the next 90 days!

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice

I came home and he is doing great in the QTank. he has not signs of ICH and I am getting ready to feed him. The interesting think is that I have a butterfly and cannot find it. I moved all of the rock around and it seem to vanish. It mush have got Ich and hid itself somewhere in one of the live rock and died

Dont let the name mislead you - I have a 180 reef set up(seperate tank) and 125 fish only. 55G Filter on the 125 with skimmer, refuge with liverock and chato macro algae. I use Reef Crystals and change water once a week at 10%. In the fish only I only have 3 false clowns 2 blue damsels and a6 line wrasse. I also have about 50 lbs of live rock and live sand No signs of ICH on those guys. Should I move them to the QT tank? I would prefer not to expose them to copper.

Considering he is doing good should I bother with a water change? I put 4 tsp for every 4 gallons but someone suggested that may be too much for an angel.

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hes Alive but more Issues

All -

My Emperor Angel is still alive and seems to be cured of ICH. I was looking at him under a magnifying glass and his fins are deteriorating, white splotches on his skin, cloudy eyes and is twitching every once in a while. No visible signs of ICH. Google tells me it's a Bacterial infection. Is this true? What is the best way to treat. I have him in a QTank with light dose of copper that I have been minimizing with water changes.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water

A = 0
N = 0
N = 0
PH = 8.3
Sg 1.026
Calc = 460
DKH = 9

Using API Reef Test Kits and refract.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Most likely it was ammonia burn which turned to a bacterial infection. I am not sure what is the best way to cure this is, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Flukes

It was Flukes thanks to Kees Aquarium to help diagnose. I put Prazipro 1 tsp per 20 gallons. Within an hour so can see things falling off of him and his eyes are clearing up and he stops twitching.

I hope this is It with this fish.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Don't remove the copper for at least 21 days. You don't want to have to FO this to him again. As far as any residual bacterial infection I would wait a couple of day and see if he clears up on his own now Thaddeus flukes are gone. If not then you can add tetracycline to the water. IT WILL harm the BACTERIA in your filter so be prepared to have to watch your ammonia levels.

·
Registered
583 Posts
everything i have bought from him died. After my powder blue died, i never went back to the garage. That was about a year and a half ago.

Sorry about the Angel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts