Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure we just saw a bristle worm in our new tank. (live rock just added yesterday.) We know what rock it is on and moved that rock to the corner of the tank. How should we get rid of it?-confused Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always heard and thought it eats coral. But I could be wrong??? That would be a relief it a bristle worm is ok to have!!!!???? Are they bad to keep?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Naw, they might sting you if you grab a rock where they are but they eat detritus(fish poop, and dead things) and don't eat corals unless the are dead, and even then I don't think I've ever heard that or read that...

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Don't worry about them, unless they get over 2ft long.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ive heard they can sting coral but i know i have some in my tank and they never touch mine... i believe arrow crabs and a six-line wrasse eat them if they come across them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
From what I have heard bristle worm eats detritus (spelling could be wrong but it is the fish waste). You can try to get rid of them but they seem to always come back and are in the live sand or LR you buy. I do not know if they eat corals, I guess it is possible. I believe there are some types that when they get bigger can do a lot of harm. Mothersreef in Parchment used to have one to show people. For now I wouldn't be too alarmed but as I am learning, don't take anyones word for it until you do some research and find actual documentation and studies.
Good Luck,
Mark

The more you learn the better you will be able to care for your livestock.
I am constantly trying to learn.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I was kinda freaking out because I heard they are bad and we just finishing cycling our second tank and put live rock and two clown fish into it.

Looking at the sand now I see a really long path, obviously a worm has taken. My guess is it is anywhere from 4 to 6 inches right now, or at least that is about how much I saw on the outside of one rock. I will keep an eye out to figure out how big it is.

Reading that they live in the sand.... We bought the tank with all their sand from someone who had it running for at least a year. I am guessing it may have came with the sand.

Thanks again for the replies and any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!!!! :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
they are fine. some online stores even sell them . 6 for $20 bucks. :eek:

However, if you really want to get rid of them try a sixline wrasse.

G

·
MOST bristle worms are good for a reef tank and not harmefull unless you touch them and get the bristles stuck in your skin then you will be cussing them out LOL

but probly only 1 in every 1000 bristle worms are in the least bit harmefull yes there are some that are but the majority of them arent actual size realy isn't much of a concern unless you grab ahold of one by accident some people actualy try and seed their tanks with them since they eat detrius so good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts