Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bgallagher 
#1 ·
My tank - 50 gallons mixed reef

Filtration - Sump w/ 200 micron filter sock , Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer and gfo reactor.

Tank Age - 1 year 5 months

Salinity - 1.024-5
Temperature - 78-79
PH - 7.8
Calcium - 450
Alkalinity- 8.1
Magnesium - 1360
Nitrates - 0
Phosphates -0

Since day one I haven't had any detectable levels of nitrate or phosphate but I know they are there due to occasional small outbreak of algae. Now I'm dealing with an outbreak of diatoms (I think) and thick white mucous like slime on my rocks. I'm siphoning it out daily along with Dr. Tims Refresh / Waste Away regime. Anyone had any experience with this crap?

#3 · (Edited)
I have, but only when I had my pellet reactor open to far in the very beginning and the first time I ran it. I still, when starting a new tank, will get the slime around the rim of the tank, but that's very, very brief..

Usually, mine is based around a bacterial stimulus.. That's the white stringy slime stuff. But with these tanks, who knows..

Are you running carbon, and do you have either that oil like film on the surface of either your display or sump, or the infamous bubbles that indicate dissolved organics in surplus?

And yes, I have used the Dr tims.. It works well, if you give it the time.. For my systems, refresh and eco balance are the two most amazing products that did the best as far as short and very much long term. Waste away worked also, but as far as noticeable changes, refresh for all kinds of funky algea, and eco for overall just stemming to do weird positive things to the system.. Eco imho, is like a kick in the pants(in a positive way) to an already established system..

from my note 4 on tapatalk

#4 ·
My first guess was Dyno as well but the more I read (www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/mystery-white-reef-slime) the more I'm convinced that MatoxD is right and its some kind of bacterial growth. Its not killing my snails and doesn't seem to bother my fish. If I didn't syphoning it out it may overrun some of my corals. I was running carbon (rox) but stopped when I started dosing the Dr. Tims. Shortly after starting Dr Tims Refresh, bubbles and oily looking surface scum appeared In my sump and went away within a couple days. I'm done with the refresh now and started using waste away. I'll give it some time and continue the syphoning regime. If that doesn't work I'll go lights out for three days. I'll try anything at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.