Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was moving stuff around in my tank and not noticing where my urchant was and I wacked him with my hand. I got stuck in the front of my hand on the muscle that your thumb is connected to. A piece was imbedded in my hand which I dug out already -devil 2 . Should i go to the hospital???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just very uncomfortable. My hand feels cold but no swelling yet(happened about 15 min ago) and its just hurts like a B*&&*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Long Spine

Mine is the size of a volleyball, and got me twice with no ill effects. My understanding is that only the short inner spikes are venomous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I caught an inner little one :mad: I might go to the hospital just to make sure, thanks for everyones help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
i got nailed twice about two weeks ago, and im fine. Unfortunately i was unable to get it all out. But over the last two weeks, i think my hand managed to work it out. hurts like the dickens at first, but other than that, not a big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Ah, if that's it you're fine. I got stuck by one today at work and just got a little swollen. The real problem is when you're allergic, like one of my coworkers. He swells up like a sausage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,643 Posts
Run HOT HOT water (as hot as you can stand...) over the wound site for 5-10 minutes to relieve the pain.

Believe it or not, there is *some* argument as to whether Diadema sp. urchins are actually venomous.

My experience would be to say "YES THEY ARE!!!" - I've kept these critters for ages, and been tagged many, many times.

I concur - that unless you are allergic, they are more akin to bee stings (fire ants?) than like getting tagged by a Lion or Rabbit fish, BUT - don't discount the potential for infection, especially if it broke off in your skin!

Those spike have all kinds of nasty bacteria in/on them, and the spines themselves are not exactly "good" for your body. Make sure to rinse it, clean it, and bandage it well.

If you haven't had it yet, the chances of anaphylaxis or something serious is pretty slim, but the chance of infection still exists - so watch for that.

Again, when I've been poked, hot water was the most helpful (could have just been in my head, but it's worked many times).

Good luck - if you feel dizzy, have swelling/tingling, or see any lines in your skin, GO TO THE ER!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,945 Posts
A: Do your best to know what you have in your tank.
B: Know what you are allergic to and what to do in case of contact.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top