Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase another large fish for my 180. My foxface jumped ship today and I am ready to replace him (More so depressed and buying fish makes me happy :) ) This is a mixed reef. Anyways, here are the current fish inhabitants:

6" Purple Tang
5" Blue Hippo Tang
5" Powder Brown Tang
5" Pink Spot Goby
3.5" Coral Beauty Angel
4 Green Chromis
2.5" Occy Clown
1.5" Tomato Clown

I am looking for another larger fish (4" or larger) to replace the foxface, I may just get another foxface, but I would like to hear other ideas. I am having a hard time finding or thinking of ideas for some reason.

Anyways, ideas!

Don

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No other ideas?? I might be going to my LFS tomorrow to see what they have. They always have a foxface or two, vlamingi's and such. Just not sure, it would be weird for me to have another foxface... Kinda feeling like I would like to try something different.

Don

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had contemplated a harlequin tusk, but I was concerned about my inverts. Anthias were also an option, but my LFS doesnt usually keep them. I like the lyretails, what would be the best combo of those in a 180. Any other suggestions, including other anthias. Any info on Tusk in a reef?

Don

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
as far as anthias, lyretail fair the hardiest. if your going to get a male, get three females with it to keep aggression down. tusk will eat ornamental shrimps. i doubt large skunks, bloods, or coral bandeds would get messed with.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
dcmartinpc said:
Any info on Tusk in a reef?
I've had one for nearly 3 years - he's huge and thick.

Eats the living daylight out of hermits and other crabs - BUT I've had decent luck with 2 Coral Bandeds (only my second one in ~4 years and the first loss was in a tank upgrade - so don't really blame the fish).

I DO have some emeralds & a porcelain crab, but they stay hidden (the ones that survive).

HOWEVER: I also keep a couple of triggers, a pair of hawkfish, dottybacks and bettas - so inverts are on the menu 24/7. I repopulate my clean-up crew (at a cost of about $75) every three-four months (thanks Reeftopia.com!), so if you've ONLY got the one tusk, you can probably go quite a bit longer. I, obviously, don't keep smaller ornamental shrimp, and won't risk the $20-$30 on cleaner shrimp; had one for years that was there first and it was fine, but lost it in a heat spike, and figured adding one in now would be like ringing the dinner bell...

Tusks won't bother corals at all, and rarely bother other fish - not really that aggressive in most cases. Hardy, pretty and interactive - docile, but not too shy.

Hope that helps - I think they are a great fish, IF you don't feel bad about your clean-up crew getting eaten up ("everything eats something else on a reef...")

OTHER SUGGESTIONS: Niger Trigger, Blue Throat, Black Durgeon, Pink Tail, Saragassum, Crosshatch:eek: , etc. Some great fish in the Trigger family that are reef safe AND can stand up to your tangs!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only reason I am leary of a Tusk is I like my hermits and snails :confused: I have quite a few scarlet reef hermits, and they aren't exactly cheap :eek: Someone convince me to get one :D It is something very few people have in their reef, and it would be a beautiful addition. Any other suggestions? I am still thinking of the lyretails, I just dont know. I just like my big fish :)

Don

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have thought of a magnificient foxface, I just don't know! This is tough, I am thinking I would like to try something else besides a foxface. I will have to show my wife some pictures of the magnificients and see what she thinks. The other thing, I could move my cleanup crew to my 60 gallon, at least that way they would live if I got the tusk :)

Don

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
The tusk won't eat *all* your animals, especially if kept fed.

Maybe move your "expensive" hermits? BUT you'll still need a clean-up crew.

Like I said, $75 every 3-4 months (with triggers, etc.) isn't too bad to me for the enjoyment I get out of my fish.

People always ooh and ahh over the tusk - it's a real show-stopper of a fish.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Other than the tangs and chromis, we have very similar fish. A few suggestions:

• fairy wrasse or a banana wrasse
  • neon dottyback
  • yellow goby
  • lemon peel angel (another Pygmy)
  • Maybe a squirrel fish instead of a foxface

All are pretty good community fish and pretty hardy as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The lunar wrasse (and the melanurus and banana as well) will be pretty hard on the inverts you keep. I wouldnt call them reef safe by any stretch of the term.

If you are looking for something that will add some activity to the tank, why not a male fairy or flasher wrasse with a harem of females? One nice McCoskeri or Red-sided flasher male with 2-3 females would look great. They are a little easier IMO than the anthias to keep well fed in a mixed reef environment.

Or a single male solarensis wrasse maybe?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those are some great ideas. I ended up getting another foxface. But I am still thinking about a some other fish, I might try to fish out my chromis and replace them with something else, good luck to me I know :) I like the idea of the group of wrasses, I will have to look into that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts