Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a routine water change about 5 minutes ago on my SPS and the tank turned milky white and the PH shot up from 8.4 to 8.56.

I believe the water change was milky before I changed the water but didnt notice until the water was changed and I turned on the return. It was only 7 gallons of ro water with salinity salt at 1.026.

Checking water now.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Are you using Seachem Salinity or was that just referring to the salinity at 1.026. If you are using it, I'm assuming this isn't your first time using it. But it is a milk white until it is thoroughly mixed, could have just added a bit too much to the water change water. It should clear up in no time if this is the case. Just check your params and see where they are all at. Though, This shouldn't have made your PH rise like that so, something else may be amiss here.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Overnight same as usual. with a powerhead and heater

Anyways it must be bad salt or mixture of salt.

the calc is 470
alk is 17.6 tested twice
PH 8.56

The high alk must have caused the calc to precipitate with the water change water. Shall I execute the emergency water change to correct the water change? If so how much I have 30G on standby from a different source or will it stabilize with the larger volume of water with some time.

It cleared up slightly and can see that ALL of the sps polyps are out.
preciptate.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you using Seachem Salinity or was that just referring to the salinity at 1.026. If you are using it, I'm assuming this isn't your first time using it. But it is a milk white until it is thoroughly mixed, could have just added a bit too much to the water change water. It should clear up in no time if this is the case. Just check your params and see where they are all at. Though, This shouldn't have made your PH rise like that so, something else may be amiss here.
I have been using it since september. While it does get cloudy nothing like this.

·
Super Moderator
1,747 Posts
Give the alk a check, But you should be able to let it go and it will balance out. It use to happen to me when I was dosing 2 part and added too much.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Under Control.

Just did a 30 gallon with a different batch that was prepared for my other tanks. After the alk is about 10.6 so I can say it shall be under control. PH down

Nick I dont have kalk on this one. I use two part. I change 7 gallons a week on this frag tank. I made up the 7 gallons with a new bucket of salinity. I am going to make the claim at this point it is the salt.

Im going to split it with another empty bucket and shake it up before next use.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Good to hear things are getting back to the norm. I've been using Salinity for about 9 weeks now. I wonder if it was just an area of the salt the wasn't mixed well (if so, not good considering it is a high end quality salt mix). I was going to recommend the 30 gallon water change. Good you went ahead and did it and the levels dropped. Was the 30 already mixed or was it strictly RODI water unmixed that you did the change with? I'm wondering if after you mix the salt as you mention, if this will still be a problem with the rest. You may want to contact Seachem if so and see about getting it replaced.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A quick, but effective emergency fix is to add small amounts of carbonated water to your system and this will stop and reverse calcium precipitation when calcium precipitation occurs. Sounds like you have everything under control.....Jim Z.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to hear things are getting back to the norm. I've been using Salinity for about 9 weeks now. I wonder if it was just an area of the salt the wasn't mixed well (if so, not good considering it is a high end quality salt mix). I was going to recommend the 30 gallon water change. Good you went ahead and did it and the levels dropped. Was the 30 already mixed or was it strictly RODI water unmixed that you did the change with? I'm wondering if after you mix the salt as you mention, if this will still be a problem with the rest. You may want to contact Seachem if so and see about getting it replaced.
Yes with the three tanks I usuall do the waterchanges at the same time. I keep a bucket of salinity upstairs for the 30g WC and one downstairs for the 7G. In this case I did the 7G WC first because the kids were driving me crazy upstairs.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good Call

A quick, but effective emergency fix is to add small amounts of carbonated water to your system and this will stop and reverse calcium precipitation when calcium precipitation occurs. Sounds like you have everything under control.....Jim Z.
Thanks. I think viniger might do the same thing. I have used it effectively to bring the PH down.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not the salt

I thought it was worth posting as I found the root cause of the problem. I am using a salinity bucket with a float valve and have it inline with my RO and two kalk reactors on the 180 and 125.

I use duel solinoid valves are hooked directly to the RO for both tanks upstairs. Because the water collection bucket is in the basement when the solenoid valves open it created a back suction and sucked kalk in the make up water in the basement. Apparently this didnt happen before as the kalk was low in both reactors. Just last week I added 2 cups of kalk to both.

The saturated kalk make up water created a chemical reaction because of the high alk and calc with the salt that precipitated the calcium out of the water which created the milk. This is why the PH and alk rose significantly. This was substantitated after I tested the makeup water this morning.

The solution is to put check valves behind the solenoid valves. Or make sure both ATO's are off when I am making up the water in the basement.

Just don't want to give the salt a bad name as it is awesome. As usual it was a human engineering error.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about this, but glad you found the problem. It was beginging to sound like my nightmare with a salt mix that had a super alk problem, 34 meq/L (95 dKH). Killed my cleanup crew in minutes, then fish and corals. So glad that didn't happen to you.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
That is crazy but, a pretty simple thing to over look. How did you come about to figure this out? Gald to hear you did and that it sounds like some work needs to be done to make sure this doesn't happen again.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

That is crazy but, a pretty simple thing to over look. How did you come about to figure this out? Gald to hear you did and that it sounds like some work needs to be done to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Just have to make sure the valves are off when I fill up the bucket. I found this out when I tested the water and it had a ph of 11. I also nioiced air in the line which means it must have been the reactor as the advast is gravity fead not pressurized allowing the air into the lines. from the top fitting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.