Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a blue spot jawfish that has recently moved out of where his usual hole under the rocks is to the corner of the tank with no protection. He has been there for more than 18 months.

Over the last day or two he has developed a really big belly, like he has eaten something and it is stuck in his stomach. Additionally, I noticed that it appears as though he has been attached as part of his tail is missing.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get him well again?

Thanks

Cam

·
Registered
609 Posts
Although it's hard to say what may be the contributing cause, if he has abondoned in previous hole/home - he will probably have a better chance of recovery if he can be protected. You might want to consider isolating him and providing him some protection. Depending on the size of your tank, you can isolate him in a plastic container (like the ones you often see jawfish in at the LFS), and provide him some pieces of PVC in the container. That way, he can be protected form other fish/inhabitants in your tank and still have something to go into.

Do you have pictures you could share?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RIP Jawfish

Hi Guys,

Well thanks for the advice - but he passed away this morning. OUCH!

Not sure what the problem was - he seemed to get something in his belly and never was quite the same.

The kids are devastated - its always the fish they love that dies first.

Anyway, Im on the hunt for a new bluespot jawfish if anyone has one going cheap?

Email me at [email protected]

Thanks

Cam

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like bloat, it happens to fish of all shaped and sizes, and if I remember right, its a bacterial infection. It could also have been an infected swim bladder, or a fast growing tumor.

Unfortunately, 90% of fish that swell up like this end up dieing prematurely :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.