Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Tell us a little more about it. Lighting, equipment, etc. One thing you might want to think about is changing your substrate. It appears that you have a small rock/pebble base, which could cause some nitrate issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 powerheads total flow 450 GPH, chrushed coral base 40 lbs LR, simple natural lighting, blue full spectrum. it was a SW fish tank till i got the reef bug.
one more pic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
caughtaniner said:
interesting choice for substrate, what made you decide to go with that over sand or crushed coral?
got it from a LFS about 8 years ago when i switched to salt tanks. been using it ever since.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
This is definitely an interesting setup! I think we are all confused by the general look of your substrate... Is it possible to get some better pictures of it? Also, is that lava rock you are using? Have you had any issues with ph or nuisance algae?

-BDR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay you all got me guessing, so after digging in you dento are right, i guess starting out, not knowing anything, 8 years ago i got hosed my my LFS. so i have had the wrong stuff but still no issues.

so my question is, stick with the pebbles since they have worked? or rip the whole tank apart and try to get live sand down???

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
tntviper1 said:
okay you all got me guessing, so after digging in you dento are right, i guess starting out, not knowing anything, 8 years ago i got hosed my my LFS. so i have had the wrong stuff but still no issues.

so my question is, stick with the pebbles since they have worked? or rip the whole tank apart and try to get live sand down???
Friend of mine is running a fresh water rock bottom, and it's fine, he bought it from someone who's ran the tank over 5 years and there's yet to be a crash.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
tntviper1 said:
all my readings are right on the money, have been for a year
Nothing wrong with that.

If you like it.

Thats all it matters.

It's unique and nice to see something different.

Great job with your set up.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
If your tank is running good and corals are ok, I wouldn't reccomend the change of substrate. The main concern i (and many reefers who posted here) would have is about the buffering capabilities of the freshwater substrate. In terms of maintaining pH and Alk., and Ca. I don't think that substrate is sufficient. If your tank isn't heavily stocked with Ca. requiring corals and other inverts., your probably ok. But we all have to keep in mind regardless of his bioload that this has been working for tntviper1. If you decide to add alot more coral, or get a new tank, it would be best to switch to a SW substrate. I feel you'd endure more issues if you swap your substrate for sand or CC right now. (Don't fix it if it's not broken kinda thing)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If its hard river stone, I don't think there is a high risk of a crash do to PH, I think that you would only get that from softer rock that is high/low in ph like limestone... However, you run the risk high nitrates the same as you would in a crushed coral tank if the coral was not finely crushed...

It's an interesting look, and definitely stands out. I'd say if its working for you and has been fine for years, keep it. However, I think your sand burrowing fish would be happier with... sand...

Thats just my opinion though, maybe there is some reason you shouldnt use it... If there is, I'm sure someone will post it :rolleyes:

-BDR

1 - 20 of 25 Posts