Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out that my hydrometer is way off, I thought my salinity was at 1.025 and it's actually at 1.030. My question is how long should I take to bring it down? I guess I could do it like I'm acclimating a coral to the tank and do it over a couple of hours or I could even do it over a couple of days. I would emagine that the longer it takes the safer everything will be, but it would be easier to do it all tonight. Has anyone dropped there salinity that much in a short period of time?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I believe I recently read on here that someone was doing the same thing and it was recommended to drop the salinity over the course of several days.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have been using hydrometers for 12 years. I always use two and my readings are always the same. I make sure to rinse them and buy a new one every few years. I have one that is 10 years old and still reads the same as one I bought a year ago. I hear this all the time and I tend to lean more to build up on the arm from not being properly maintained. should always rinse before and after each use in fresh water.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been using the same one for about 11 years and I rinse it in tap water almost every time I use it. I have no idea how long the calibration has been off. But the fact is that it is off, by a lot. There is no visual build up on it. Although now I can still use it and I know it just .005 off.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I too have been using a Hydrometer for over two years. I think that they can be reliable. My system seems to be doing great and all my praams are exactly where I want them. any piece of equipment has the potential for malfunction.

·
Registered
653 Posts
These are mostly examples of consistency being more important than the exact number. I personally have calibration fluid that I check my refractometer with weekly, so I am pretty confident in it's numbers. If I found my system to be as high as the OP I would bring it down a point a day to 1.026.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts