Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got some stuff growing on my live rock and was wondering what it was, is it good or bad? if its bad how do i get rid of it? pics below.
grey stuff growing on my rock?

clear anemone things with white tips. they started growing on the dead coral that was left on the rock.

looks like an aptasia anemone but i cant tell as it is mostly in the rock. no stem and it has little white bands on the tenticals.????

blue lumpy stuff????

these look like little rock anemones???

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Very cool! The first to pics I am not sure of but, I would let it grow and see what it becomes.
The third and fourth pics could possibly be some type of Dendro or sun coral but, I am not certain. Hopefully someone will chime in that can get a positive ID.

the fifth and six pics I believe is a some type of anemone. I know I had one growing in my tank for a while and then it just disappeared one day. If looks the same as the one I had and it was able to move like most nems.

Im quite curious about the seven pic. Looks cool. Though, I have no clue as to what it could be. Obviously it is encrusting but may be some type of branching coral as well. Who knows, does it have any polyps that come out? I too would let this grow.

The last two look the same as pics 3-4. But, if that is the case you seem to have several of them. How long have they been growing? How long have you had this LR? It may be possible that they are some other type of pest anemone like aptasia. I am not sure on this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
hitch hikers ID

Pics 8 & 9 are majano anemone's and are considered pests due to their out competing reef inhabitants and spreading all over your tank. You want to get rid of those. I've used a paste of Kalkwasser on those successfully in the past. The other things you posted have me waiting on the answer myself. I'm not going to guess. My 2 cents.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
1st two pics looks like a sponge, the other is a type of nem, almost looks lilt a little bta, the other is a pest, hard to tell but majono, can't see the blue thing your taking about....better pic? The last two pics look like common palys found in most tanks.I find them ugly so I usually kill them but not a pest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last 2 were on a rock I recently got. All of those are on the one rock. The other brown with white strips has been in there for a month 2 that I noticed. I will get rid of them this weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st two pics looks like a sponge, the other is a type of nem, almost looks lilt a little bta, the other is a pest, hard to tell but majono, can't see the blue thing your taking about....better pic? The last two pics look like common palys found in most tanks.I find them ugly so I usually kill them but not a pest.
Last 2 pics I dont think are polys cause they move. I will take a better pic of the blue stuff later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In pics 3-4. It looks as if those have a hard encrusted base. Is this the case? If so, they are not majano nems.
The base is an old dead coral like an poly skeleton. Those things just started growing on them in that last couple weeks. I dont really see a base on them ay all so maybee that is their base???? They wernt there 2 weeks ago. I have a couple more on other rocks growing the same way, on an old poly skeleton. I think the majanos were the last 2 pics.

·
Registered
308 Posts
1-2 look like hardened frag putty missing a frag... or maybe it could have been used to keep two rocks together. It could be a sponge, but it looks hard to me.
3-4 are jewel anemones
5-6 look like aptasia to me
7 I really can't tell but it looks the most interesting to me. I would love to see better pics
8-9 look like majano

Aiptasia and majano are both invasive pest anemones. They both pack a strong sting to other coral, and probably should be gotten rid of. jewel anemones stay small, and don't sting much. They are not considered pests...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'VE never seen a majono or aptasia that was blue/green........

Regarding the last two pics
I have, I've seen them in blue, pink, green, orange, and all different shades in between... They actually used to be popular around 10 yrs ago, and people would sell them as mini bubble tip anemones. People were suckers back in the day, and forums were what they are now.

I know its ridiculous paying for majano... but oh have times changed!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No not really lol...times haven't changed that much, I know someone who paid $10 for an aptasia from a lfs only a mth or so ago haha! I won't say any names but he felt pretty dumb after we all told him. He's been on the boards for about a year, so you would think he would have known better

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I am wondering if that light purple is just another coraline that covered something else up over time. On the other hand, watch it closely and see if it is indeed growing. If it is, it will be very interesting to see what this turns into as I would have no idea at this point.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Your first two original pics...I think it's an interesting suggestion that it might just be epoxy. I love sponges, but if you didn't know, the first time they're exposed to air they die. I'm assuming this rock has been out of water...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Your first two original pics...I think it's an interesting suggestion that it might just be epoxy. I love sponges, but if you didn't know, the first time they're exposed to air they die. I'm assuming this rock has been out of water...
Actually not always the case. The problem with sponges is that they are very porus and when exposing them to air it alows for bubble to be created within the sponge blocking those areas and reducing their natural filtering. Though, some sponges it does not affect them. Some sponges grow it Tide pools. but, this is a chance to take are I am not sure which sponges would or wouldn't be okay. For instance, I have some Black sponge, possible a ball sponge growing on the underside of one of my pieces of LR. I had to remove this rock when I the need came to remove my watchman goby. It was exposed to air. All the sponges on the underside of that rock are still alive. However, some did turn white but still extend their filter tube. While others are still a charcoal black. I must say, I was worried and didnt want to take that piece out, but it made it too difficult no to. So I did. Just my experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.