Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that the drum I keep my RO in, there is a film on the top of the water. And the hose that is in it, connected to the powerhead to keep water flowing, and to easily get water out has a slime to it. I have a heater in it as well, it stays around 73 degrees. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
is the film an oil? what was the barrel used for before you got it?

take the heater out, there is no need for it, all you're doing with that is promoting growth of contaminants.

you shouldn't even need to circulate it either, just make the water and keep it covered.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I store my RO/DI water in 5 gallon buckets or in a 32 gallon brute container which is also what I use to mix my water in. Prior to mixing the water sits in the bins for up to two weeks with now circualtion or heaters. Once mixed however, I keep in covered and circulating as what I mixed is generally used up each time.
If you are getting a film on the surgace, there could potentially be some contaminates in the water. Do you keep your container covered?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the barrel was used at the car wash but i washed it out and filled it with water and let it sit out side for a month emptying it and filling it every few days for a month. the reson that i keep a heater in there is cause i only have 2 buckets and i have to do around 40 gallons in water changes a week. no i dont have it coverd.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I would have thouht that the barrels would be leach proof. But when i brought some home the other week they said on it that container may retain product residue. Now im just going to use them for other things around the barn.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Barrel

the barrel was used at the car wash but i washed it out and filled it with water and let it sit out side for a month emptying it and filling it every few days for a month. the reson that i keep a heater in there is cause i only have 2 buckets and i have to do around 40 gallons in water changes a week. no i dont have it coverd.
Car wash, that has danger written all over it. I would invest in a brute trash can (gray), make sure they are rated for food storage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts