Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of places to get holes drilled in a tank? I need any place close to Wixom or Canton. Canton Fish Doctor use to but do not anymore. I called Pet connection today to get it done and they didn't have the time or something. Just checking if there is any other place or a glass company that could do it. With the correct tools, is it had to do on your own? Any reefers with experience that will make a home visit? :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm surprised pet connection said what they said. I had my 150 gallon drilled there and they sold me everything needed. God luck with it. I know there's a few reefers that offered to help me out at the time I'm pretty sure they'll chim in.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised pet connection said what they said. I had my 150 gallon drilled there and they sold me everything needed. God luck with it. I know there's a few reefers that offered to help me out at the time I'm pretty sure they'll chim in.
Ya me too and I pretty much ofered to buy the whole overflow kit. That would be amazing if someone could do that for me. I recently moved to Wixom (everyone I know is in the Canton area) so its a pain to drag a buddy out there to help me take it in and out of the house just for that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You should do it yourself, Ocho. I just drilled my new tank and had never done it before. It's easier than you think and well worth doing yourself. BRS sells hole saws relatively cheap. Let me know if you have questions. I'd be happy to help.

GL

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should do it yourself, Ocho. I just drilled my new tank and had never done it before. It's easier than you think and well worth doing yourself. BRS sells hole saws relatively cheap. Let me know if you have questions. I'd be happy to help.

GL
Ya tell me all you can. The overflow I'm looking at is on GlassHoles.com and it comes with a diamond bit. All I have is a cordless drill and idk if that will work.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ya tell me all you can. The overflow I'm looking at is on GlassHoles.com and it comes with a diamond bit. All I have is a cordless drill and idk if that will work.
i just driiled for a GH kit and used a cordless drill. The key is consistent, yet slight pressure and keeping the thing wet while you drill. Be sure the clutch on the drill is set to the lowest possible setting meaning that if it binds, the clutch will engage to stop the drill with little resistance. Also, use the templates that they give you to start so your drill doesn't walk on you. I'm not far from you and would be happy to try to schedule a visit to help if need be. I drive past wixom on my way home from work. I work in Livonia.

Here's a pic of the finished product.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
i bout a over flow kit from glasshole.com and i used a cordless drill to cut the holes in my 150g tank the key is just to use a lot of water . if you use plumbers putty to make a wall around where you want the hole to be cut then you can fill it with water and it will hold the water there for you and use tape on the other side so the glass goes not fall through.

·
Registered
84 Posts
holes

Pet connection drilled my 65 gallon tank about 3weeks ago

came with over flow boxed rated at 900gallons a hr
drilling 3 holes
3 bulkhead units
6in line lock flex tube
painting the back black

$175 only took the a day and half

and ken will walk threw everything he will do and help you with the plumbing design

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I installed a 1500 from a Glass-Holes kit. Was SUPER ez. A cordless drill is perfect for it as we all know water and electric don't mix well. Make sure you watch their video. A small hint if you go that way is to use duct tape on the inside of the tank as you drill thru. This way you won't have any glass chipping or flaking and the glass won't fall against the opposite piece of glass. Just remember to take your time and let the drill do the work. Good luck!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I drilled my 120'before using the glass-holes bits....I think I still have them if you want to give it a try. It was super easy and I used the plumbers putty as mentioned above and worked great.
I think I have 1 3/4 and a 1 inch if either will work for you. PM me and I will look for them and let you know what sizes they are if your interested.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback on doing it yourself. A member one here who has done it before offered to swung by and give me a hand. Just gotta order the kit now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts