Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I ran into a couple problems. 1 the pump has thermal protection and shuts down for 15 min every half hour. Who knows this could be a good thing. 2 my temp controller is broken. It was broke when I got it. Blown fuse grrr. The temp was at 58 last night. The temp this morning was 65. So I climbed 8 degrees in about 8 hours. A degree an hour isn't that bad for a crappy coil of pex tubing eh? Im gonna insulate my drain and return line from the tank tonight and add some insulation to The pex lines coming from the hot water heater too. Im gonna also work on making a new coil asap too. Ill keep ya posted guys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tubing

Hay, Is there a type of plastic tubing that gives you better heat exchange. I think the tubing you are using is more of a thermal insulator. Also a stainless steel tubing for the tank may increase the heat transfer and I don't think SS will mess the tank up. If you get a better heat transfer at the tank the water temp go back to your cold water line will be quite low too (anyway my .02).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right but it really isnt bothering me. it just purges the hot water out of the cold line when i use a sink or shower thats in between the hot water heater and the washers cold line. like my bathroom is the only thing affected, my kitchen sink is fine. its just when i turn on the cold water in the bathroom its hot for about 4 seconds. not a biggy in my eyes. thanks tho. so if anybody replicates this make sure you cold return is first in line from the hot water heater. Or connect it to the drain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hay, Is there a type of plastic tubing that gives you better heat exchange. I think the tubing you are using is more of a thermal insulator. Also a stainless steel tubing for the tank may increase the heat transfer and I don't think SS will mess the tank up. If you get a better heat transfer at the tank the water temp go back to your cold water line will be quite low too (anyway my .02).
i ebayed titanium tubes. there only 28 buckd for 4 feet of 3/8" pipe. NICE :victory:

·
Registered
377 Posts
controller

by far the best ive used is the ranco....i set up my 900 gallon system heating it off of my hot water tank as well several months ago. cant imagine the bill without doing it this way.

ems

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I use a ranco control and love it. I would souble check to see if the tube ur using is heat rated i have been ruuning a recir loop on over 400g but i used the 1/2 white pex pipe and i only have 4 loops 12" round in my sump and it will raise my 400g 1-3 degrees an hr if let it. I used a 3 speed recir pump (grunfos) and mine goes back to the bottom return on my tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a ranco control and love it. I would souble check to see if the tube ur using is heat rated i have been ruuning a recir loop on over 400g but i used the 1/2 white pex pipe and i only have 4 loops 12" round in my sump and it will raise my 400g 1-3 degrees an hr if let it. I used a 3 speed recir pump (grunfos) and mine goes back to the bottom return on my tank.
Yeah mines 1/4"ID pex so my flows kinda slow but its a good thing. The reason im not climbing temp fast is cause I have it plugged in to a timer that only kicks it on for an hour 4 times a day. Im gonna order a heater controller tonight. Ranco seems worthy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hooked the return directly to the drain on the hot water heater. Durr haha. I just didn't want to mess with any copper plumbing so I was using hose ends to connect to the washer and dryer hookup. I lucked out, I forgot about the drain on the water heater is threaded the same.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Looks like one off a brewing site.

Make sure you are using a grundfos pump or a taco bronze pump. Anything else is asking for trouble.

My ranco has held strong for 6 years now, never failed me one time.

I have a buddy that wired my old one to his freezer and was using it for kegs of beer at one time. Even worked for that. Definitely go with the ranco.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the use of the chiller coil. Has it worked well keeping things at temp for you?

Also, could you measure the outside diameter of the coil? I want to check to see if I could fit one of these in my sump compartment.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the use of the chiller coil. Has it worked well keeping things at temp for you?

Also, could you measure the outside diameter of the coil? I want to check to see if I could fit one of these in my sump compartment.

Thanks,
Steve
This thing rocks. I set it to 92 and watched some family guy then went back down to check it. Sure enought 92 on the dot. The coil alone can not even be held it gets so hot. Its 10" coil 25ft long.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.