Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Most corals will spread on thier own. For stony type corals/mushrooms you can cut them (experienced reefer only please, i say this just because i dont want you to just start cutting stuff up) but read further in the propagation forums to learn more before you do any cutting.

·
Registered
738 Posts
What are you trying to grow? Most coral depend on the proper Light and Calcimum and trace elements to grow. I have Frog Spawn, Torch, Hammer, Trumpet, start polyps, and variuous other polyps that have split several times since last Sepetember. I just bought some Ricardo's and one has already split in a month of being in my tank. Research your type of coral and find out their requiements, some just need proper lighting and that's it. Flow is another area too to look at to make sure your type of coral is getting the various elements and food. There are lots of people that are going to tell you what they feed their Coral. You will have to do a little experimenting to see what they like, but researching on them is the best I have found. One other big thing is patience as your tank matures, so will the coral if you are just starting out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
PPi said:
I just bought some Ricardo's and one has already split in a month of being in my tank.
What kind of lighting and position in your tank are your ricordeas? I have a couple in my tank, but one of the heads had two mouths since I got it so I'd think it might want to split, but it hasn't changed in over a month. I have mine low in the tank, out of the way of most flow, about 18" from my tek 4 light fixture (156watts of t5 light).

I've read conflicting requirements for ricordea. Sometimes it says high light medium flow, other say low light now flow.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I know what you mean about the conflicting requirements. I read to put them on the sand when you first get them and then once they are open fully to move them where your desired location is. I too have read different lighting requirements, so I placed them mid tank. I bout 2 of them and I too had one with 2 eyes, so more or less got 3 for the price of 2. It has been about a month and they are about ready to become 2. When I first go it, it is was one solid mushroom. It know has about a half an inch from becoming seperated. I think some of it was due to the base was attached to 2 seperate pieces of rock. All three seem to be happy and full during light cycle. They definately didn't like the high flow, they just folded up. I have my in an area where the (fingers) just barely move. I would say place not so much as to make them fly in the wind so to speak. I run an Aquacntics fixture that is:(5) T5 -39W config. Hope this helps and again, I have only had my shrooms for a month now, so just my opinon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts