Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know of any sites or anything, that can show me how to build my own tank. I want to buy or build a 180 or larger so I can get a Bamboo shark. I'm just looking for the most cost effective way to get it. Thanks for time, and I'm looking forward for all your help and comments.:D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
most cost savings would be to build a vat of plywood and use a pond liner for a lookdown tank you would need glass of atleast 3/8-1/2in to build your own tank for the general public this is not very cheap it would have to be cut by a glass shop to size and you pay for the whole sheet of glass even if you dont use it all becuase it become scrap to the shop i have built alot of my own glass tanks from 16gal-150gal the bigger the harder to build the glass gets heavy holding it in place trying to get a good seal

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
building tanks of acrylic is not too hard if you have acess to the right tools. But the acrylic sheet itself can cost alot. For a 180 (larger for a shark) you'd likely need 1/2" thick or thicker-thats probably $250ish a sheet off the top of my head-maybe more. The taller the tank the thicker you'll need. If you have to buy tools-routers, saws, etc... you might as well buy one-better yet wait for a used one to go on sale used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts