Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I still consider myself a noob especially when it comes to this subject I chose to post here so that other noobs can also benefit.
We know that if a reef tank it is important to monitor and to keep in balance Calcium, Alkalinity, pH and Magnesium to close to Natural Sea Water parameters.

Calcium between 380ppm - 420ppm

Alkalinity between 3meg\L - 5meg\L or 8dkh - 11-dkh

Magnesium between1250 mg/L-1350 mg/L

pH values between 8.1 - 8.4

It seems that since I have been putting more and more SPS coral in my tank I am finding the need to dose the tank to keep parameters in check. Especially Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium.
My question is why? What is using these additives up? What is it being used for?

·
Registered
52 Posts
that's strange BUT maybe it is different with fish....
I put fish after fish changing old with new trying to get it the way I want and never have had a water issue TILL I was doing a water change and didn't notice the time and my LFS was closed already so I did the tap water with some salt and some AquaSafe(bad idea THANX fishdr.)and from that point on had BIG BIG issues with my PH drop'n off the chart.....

So well i am done ramblin' now sorry....

Good luck with the issue

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The short version is that SPS absorbs these elements for growth. Just like how we need Ca to grow strong bones, SPS needs it for growth as well.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
All stoney coarls, LPS and SPS, snails, coraline algae, variuos worms that build hard tubes, etc... all use calcium

elitekillers5-there is nothing wrong with Aquasafe, just removes chlorine from tapwater. Perhaps your tapwater is bad, or you somehow contaminated the water or tank.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Think of the elements as building blocks on a assembly line, if availabilty of the blocks fall, production falls also, keep everything in check with good lighting and growth will come, some corals faster than others;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts