Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ty I just finished..... Think I might have killed the frags of GSP though.... =/ I think I accidently crushed the polyps.... =/

·
Registered
308 Posts
coral is far more resilient than most people think... dont worry about crushing GSP (but don't beat it with a hammer either) and most corals are ok out of the water for minutes, and some for hours...

I like to use superglue gel. I put it on the plugs and let it get a thin hard layer before attaching my frags. then I give the frag a minute ~60 seconds or so, then put the frags in an area of my growout that has lower flow. Once I am confident that the frag will stay on the plug, I move it to where it needs to be.

To do most SPS corals, I suggest letting the glue get even thicker. It make it a lot easier to stand up acros etc.

There are several species that have adapted to tidal regions and can be exposed for a very long time. Most other coral is simply hardy enough to withstand the exposure to air.

Keep in mind, temperature and light are a huge factor in this. The water protects the coral from UV light, and if your coral drops to 72*, it won't matter whether its in saltwater or not... cold is... cold!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
coral is far more resilient than most people think... dont worry about crushing GSP (but don't beat it with a hammer either) and most corals are ok out of the water for minutes, and some for hours...

I like to use superglue gel. I put it on the plugs and let it get a thin hard layer before attaching my frags. then I give the frag a minute ~60 seconds or so, then put the frags in an area of my growout that has lower flow. Once I am confident that the frag will stay on the plug, I move it to where it needs to be.

To do most SPS corals, I suggest letting the glue get even thicker. It make it a lot easier to stand up acros etc.

There are several species that have adapted to tidal regions and can be exposed for a very long time. Most other coral is simply hardy enough to withstand the exposure to air.

Keep in mind, temperature and light are a huge factor in this. The water protects the coral from UV light, and if your coral drops to 72*, it won't matter whether its in saltwater or not... cold is... cold!
+1 Great info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts