Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was near my LFS today and stopped in and bought 5 gallons of RO/DI water because im out of it at home. I mixed the salt already so it is ready to go when I need it. How long will this water stay good for?

For question 2. I went out and bought an API Reef master test kit to go with my saltwater master test kit. What levels should my Calcium be at? Also what levels should my Carbonate hardness be? Is there any other test kits I should get?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
As for the water as long as there is movement its good for quite a while, and covered I should add. I mix 40g and use 15-20 per week modded maxjet for circulation (over kill) . For the other questions you should be fine with the kit you got as it has KH, Calc, Nitrate, throw out the phosphate test its worthless. Kh should be some where in the 8-10dkh range and calc should be some where in the 400+ range these also depend on what kind of corals you have. You should use all the tests in there except as I said phosphate. A phosphate test is important but you wont get a good reading using a cheap test kit. I use api for most and people will argue that the api kits are junk but I have put them against salifert and they match up pretty close usually. I have picked up a Hanna phosphate tester and an alk tester also much more accurate.
Depending on how old the tank is you might need ammonia and nitrite tests also if its been up a while then you should be good.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
LFS or bulkreefsupply.com

Water is good for a very very long time. Just keep it covered

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.