Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I run carbon 24 hours a day 7 days a week. No harm done for my tank just make sure its clean and high quality.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so then it is time to change it then lol. does anyone have a brad that the like more than the other if so why is that just trying to get a feel for the stuff.

before i posted on here i had looked around and seen that a lot of people say that it is bad to have in a reef tank is this true.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Granulated carbon is commonly exhausted in a few days in a reef tank... Not bad if it is good carbon. look at some of the sponsors for "good carbon" bulk reef suppy is a sponsor I believe. There is a correlation between some types of carbon and issues with HLLE and algae, but that is not the good granulated kind. I have seen some really awesome tanks that never run carbon and other really awesome tanks that swear by it...... it has its place for sure, but there are other ways around it. I like to run a little every month or so for a few days, but not near what most people do.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Granulated carbon is commonly exhausted in a few days in a reef tank... Not bad if it is good carbon. look at some of the sponsors for "good carbon" bulk reef suppy is a sponsor I believe. There is a correlation between some types of carbon and issues with HLLE and algae, but that is not the good granulated kind. I have seen some really awesome tanks that never run carbon and other really awesome tanks that swear by it...... it has its place for sure, but there are other ways around it. I like to run a little every month or so for a few days, but not near what most people do.
+1 could not agree more

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I just buy the bulk pellet form from the store. Works good for me.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Oh and the price is great

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Purigen is kinda like a synthetic carbon replacement, it is "theoretically rechargeable" if you are an amatour chemist. Works great actually, much better than carbon IMO, but yeah... it can be pricey.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think filter socks are awesome, and can take so much crap out of your system before it starts to break down, and when stuff breaks down is when you need the carbon to remove the ammonia, etc. filter socks work as a bit of a preventative measure... Assuming you change them and clean them when needed.

Likewise, chaeto removes the nitrates and stuff naturally, and IMO also very important.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i started using it because i had to use chemi clean for that cyano problem that i had.this is my first time that i have got the saltwater to work for me so i guess im really just trying to educate my self a little more on everything thats all . also i just started to use a Refugium and that is all new to me. now i just got to find out when i should remove my bioballs from my Refugium i was told to leave them in the Refugium for a lttle while so that way my my tank woulld not start to cycle al over again.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You an start in a week or so. Remove them over a month. Start with a little then each week take out a little more. Best thing I ever did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts